• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

AI interaction with rest of engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 l.rod   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Let's say I have AI that wants to go from one point to another. It finds path and starts to move. What do I do here? I just move character along path? Or use some sort of character controller (line the one I use for playable character to move)?

Sponsor:

#2 comfy chair   Members   -  Reputation: 665

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

The character should have a class Locomotor that takes care of its movement along the path. That way, it can walk/drive/crawl/swim depending on its capabilities and state.

#3 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 2497

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Let's say I have AI that wants to go from one point to another. It finds path and starts to move. What do I do here? I just move character along path? Or use some sort of character controller (line the one I use for playable character to move)?

Depends on the game.  I have a third person shooter game with bots, the AI basically acts just like a player, and only gives inputs just like a player would.  So the AI would find a path, then translate that path into the current input to report.  

#4 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 17219

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

There are as many possible answers to this as there are game implementations in the universe.

Do what makes sense for your code base.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS