• Create Account

Microsoft astroturfing the frontpage news section?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 4n0n   Members   -  Reputation: 239

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

I'm curious, all the Microsoft/Windows Phone related news have a lot more upvotes than the other news.

Are some of the upvotes from external sources or is it astroturfing?

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20302

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

The news feeds come from outside sources, and I believe the rankings are aggregate across many sites.

While I agree it is fairly rare to see a story with a score in the multiple thousands, since most stories are in the tens and sometimes the hundreds, it does make sense; the story is probably filed under many different fields and is a general interest story. It meets the meme of an indestructible Nokia phone, having a Nokia-brand Windows phone stopping a bullet is mildly funny by itself.

I don't think any suspicious numbers happened, just that it was interesting to a lot of people across a lot of shared news hubs.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7120

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Microsoft TechEd is also going on this week, and it wasn't long ago that //Build was going on, and in between the two there's been lots of news attention, what with the new CEO, the Nokia deal closing, soaring stock prices, and a slew of other things. In terms of media attention and cool-factor, Microsoft has been the red-headed stepchild for the last 10 years, but that trend is starting to be bucked in the last 6 months or so. Part of your amazement and confusion is probably rooted in the fact that you're simply not used to hearing any good news about Microsoft.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS