• Create Account

Animated File Format for Blender and Assimp?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 578

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

I'm trying to find a good intermediary model file format that both Blender and the Assimp 3.0 C/C++ library both support (as the topic title suggests, lol). It seems that .blend, FBX and COLLADA aren't totally supported by Assimp. The FBX exporter I'm using with blender doesn't work import, the .blend files I've been able to "successfully" generate an Assimp scene from doesn't provide any geometry. Would Microsoft's deprecated, .x format fair pretty well for the two? I haven't had the chance to try yet, but if anyone has any suggestions for supporting animated models with the two, I'm all ears.

Btw, I haven't had any luck with Doom 3's MD5 exporter with Blender.

Sponsor:

#2 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4006

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

Would Microsoft's deprecated, .x format fair pretty well for the two?

Blender exports animation x-files fine. I don't use Assimp - I've rolled my own importer - but I know of at least one fellow who uses Assimp to import x-files and render skinned meshes. I use C++ and the other fellow uses C#.

Edited by Buckeye, 07 May 2014 - 11:25 PM.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#3 Vincent_M   Members   -  Reputation: 578

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

Ok, I think .x is the way to go for now. I would have liked to support FBX since it's not a dead file format like the .x format is. The problem is, I have heard that Blender doesn't support animations in its FBX exporter, and ASSIMP wouldn't work with the current version of the the FBX format. The FBX format also keeps changing every so often, so if I were to use Autodesk's FBX SDK, then it would change roughly 6 months later. The .x format seems to be the way to go for now.

#4 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4006

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

it's not a dead file format like the .x format is.

Just an opinion - "deprecated" is different than "dead," IMHO. Just because Microsoft doesn't provide support for a file format doesn't mean it's dead. MS don't provide support for the other formats you mentioned, but I'd hesitate to call them dead. Blender, which is very much "alive," has addons which support lots of formats, including x-files (you'll have to google for it, but it's out there). Assimp supports it, etc., etc.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS