• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Win32 - resource.h "no such file or directory"

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 LiziPizi   Members   -  Reputation: 91

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

Hello everyone, 

I'm learning winapi and im building a window with file menu, and I came across with this error says that there is no resource file in my project, I know there's need to be .rc kind of file but where do I get it, in winprog tutorials they didnt mention how to activate it or w.e?

I also included it at the begining of my code (as #include "resource").

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 Buckeye   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8222

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

The nature and content of resource files is beyond what can be discussed in a forum, other than to say that it's a file which describes resources (menus, icons, etc.) which can be used by your Win32 app. As explained in winprog, you need a resource file. Read that information in a bit more detail as it explains what the basic file looks like, what resource.h is, etc. You'll learn a lot more if you read through the tutorial, rather than just grabbing code and trying to compile it.

What IDE are you using? If the one you're using doesn't create a resource file for you, I strongly suggest you get Visual Studio. You can get VS2013 Express for Desktop for free. The express version doesn't include a resource editor, but it will generate the resource file and headers. The resource file is ASCII and can be edited easily in VS as a text file. There are also some free resource editors available. ResEdit is one. Google for "windows resource editor."

If you're using Visual Studio, start by letting VS build you a Win32 Application solution. Then you can look at the all the parts needed to display a window.

Edited by Buckeye, 10 May 2014 - 07:05 AM.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS