• Create Account

recreate frostbite destruction physics

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Ramsey   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Hello!

I want to know if there is any detailed information on the web talking about how the frostbite engine achieved such a lvl of distructable environments. And the techniques they used. I am trying to recreate very similar environment destruction in cryengine.ive followed some tutorials, but they all don't look like what you see in battlefield 4 not to mention the frame rate always drops. How can I create distruction like what you see in battlefield 4 but also keep the performance high for large scale multiplayer. Thank you!

Sponsor:

#2 radioteeth   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1053

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I vote BSP tree, where each destructive event finds multiple shear planes to 'chop up' the world (or relevant piece/portion), and treat each individual chunk as an independent object. But I have no idea what they are actually doing.

#3 Marcus Ramsey   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Interesting idea

#4 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2884

1Likes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

There are probably multiple systems at multiple levels of detail at work here. There's a presentation on how they did smaller scale destruction in their frostbite 2 engine by using a technique they call "Destruction masking using volume distance fields", they're probably also using this to some extent in frostbite 3.

The slides for this can be found here: http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/siggraph10-arrdestruction-maskinginfrostbite2

I gets all your texture budgets!

#5 Marcus Ramsey   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

Wow thank you so much!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS