• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Some OpenGL crash course?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tigro   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:36 AM

So for one of the gamedev courses I'm attending at my uni, we are to develop a simple-yet-working 3D game over the course of two weeks using OpenGL 2.x and a language of our choice. Having very little experience with OpenGL (I know how to open a window, draw some simple shapes and that's about it) I'm quite baffled by the task and lost as to where to even start. I thought about developing something simple like a mini golf simulator (thankfully we don't have to worry about physics here and are allowed to treat them as we like) but as I said - I'm still clueless where to put my hands into.

Most of the tutorials I found are either for OpenGL 4.x or are very slow paced (I mean "Lesson 25: let's rotate a shape" kind of slow) and thus, even if they are good and go in-depth, I can't really treat them as my main source of knowledge cause I simply won't be able to finish them AND the game over such short time. The best thing for my purpose I saw, I think, were NeHe's gamedev tutorials. Is there something you could recommend or some advice you could give me to develop a working simulator in such short time?

Sponsor:

#2 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4782

0Likes

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

So for one of the gamedev courses I'm attending at my uni, we are to develop a simple-yet-working 3D game over the course of two weeks using OpenGL 2.x and a language of our choice.

To create a game like that in 2 weeks with no OpenGL experience seems crazy.  OpenGL is a very advanced API, and you can't learn it in two weeks and make a game with it.  Are you sure you can't use a library like SMFL?  What are the prerequisites for this class? 

I don't know of any quick tutorial to make a game, but hopefully someone else will be able to help.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#3 Tigro   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

Oh, of course we can use libraries like SFML or SDL, sorry for not specifying outright :) We just have to program the visuals using OpenGL but whether you put GLUT or anything else on top of it doesn't matter.

#4 Tigro   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

Nobody has any tips on how to tackle this? :( Sorry for bumping but each day is working for my disadvantage.

#5 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4782

0Likes

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

I will give you my two cents, but I don't think you will like it.

Anyone teaching OpenGL using the fixed function pipeline doesn't know what they are doing.  It's not like it is old but still useful.  The very foundation of the way modern graphics cards work has changed.  If the instructor was using the fixed pipeline as a simplified teaching tool, that's different.  But just throwing you in the pool and saying "you've got two weeks to figure this out, oh, and by the way, do it with the old stuff no one uses anymore because I don't want to update my lesson plan" is not really helping you.

I would suggest finding an example from the NeHe tutorials (since they use the fixed function) and tweaking it to fit your needs.

Maybe this one?  http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/collision_detection/17005/

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#6 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7337

0Likes

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

Every course is a crash course when you're fast enough. Stop worrying, pull up whatever tutorials you can find, and hit the ground in full sprint. You don't have time to worry or think. Just read and code.

Edited by Promit, 13 May 2014 - 11:44 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS