• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

WM_TOUCH vs WM_POINTER

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Prune   Members   -  Reputation: 223

0Likes

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

Which one should I use? I'm only using Windows 8.x, so I don't care about the fact that WM_POINTER is not backwards compatible with Windows 7 etc. I also don't care about gestures; only about raw touches. WM_POINTER's only clear advantage seems to be that it unifies touch and mouse input (but that's easy to work around with WM_TOUCH because mouse events can be checked with GetMessageExtraInfo()). Ease of use is also not an issue; I've been using WM_TOUCH already and I'm just wondering if I should switch to WM_POINTER. My overriding concern is latency and efficiency. I can't tell whether WM_POINTER is a wrapper over WM_TOUCH that has extra overhead. Any comments?

Edited by Prune, 19 May 2014 - 12:39 PM.

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS