• Create Account

Map Zooming and Detail

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Theis_Bane   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

I had an odd thought the other day. Say you had a continent level map, detailing the shape of the land, terrain features, and interesting locations. Now, say you wanted to be able to zoom in and out of that map to get a greater level of detail, but you didn't want to go in and draw out multiple levels of detail for every inch of the landscape.

Would it be possible to generate say, beach shape, on the fly as you zoom in by using a seeded randomly generated number to calculate terrain variations based on the main image and previous zoom levels? If so, how would one go about calculating this? Am I even making sense?

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18892

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

Looks like you are describing procedurally generated terrain.

Simply put, you figure out some math formulas and statistics you want to use, and then compute the results. 

If you are only looking for graphics, here's an older article for a GPU-powered system. If you need something to interact with physics, or to place other objects on, or for different uses, you'll either need to read up on procedural generation or make something up on your own. 

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Burnt_Fyr   Members   -  Reputation: 1201

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Google how long is the coast of britain to get an idea of how fractals could help

Edited by Burnt_Fyr, 21 May 2014 - 05:32 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS