• Create Account

What OpenGL book do you recommend for experts?

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 27577

0Likes

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

In the same vein as this post: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/656791-what-good-opengl-book-do-you-recommend-for-beginners/

Except I'm looking for a GL book for someone who already knows how to use a dozen other graphics APIs, and just wants:

• a good way to translate their knowledge of other APIs to OpenGL's worldview,
  • a good reference for GL features,
  • and a guide for how to find the "fast path" in the GL quagmire.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting these:

OpenGL Insights

OpenGL Programming Guide

Something like MJP and JasonZ's D3D book ("Practical Rendering & Computation with Direct3D11") would be nice biggrin.png

Sponsor:

#2 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6086

2Likes

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

I found Insights to be supremely useful -- you probably already know how closely Riccio follows the state of the industry with regards to OpenGL. Of course the big problem is that any book with too many concrete recommendations is likely doomed, given the quicksand shifting of drivers, implementations, and specs in current day GL. There's too much space for stale information.

Edited by Promit, 20 May 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#3 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6786

6Likes

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

I've found the OpenGL Super Bible to be useful in bring myself back up speed with OGL too.

(Insights is also on my 'to read' list having already spun over the Red Book in order to get a view of the 4.3 API world).

#4 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7418

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

Another tip is to do a GL Intercept log of what the latest id Software engine does, because they're going to be the paths that vendors will be optimizing around.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#5 bioglaze   Members   -  Reputation: 468

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Another tip is to do a GL Intercept log of what the latest id Software engine does, because they're going to be the paths that vendors will be optimizing around.

I'd replace "id Software" with "Unreal Engine" but the advice is fine.

#6 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7418

1Likes

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'd replace "id Software" with "Unreal Engine" but the advice is fine.

Depends.

On Windows the Unreal engine is still D3D, isn't it?  And that's exactly the combination of platforms where 95% of your OpenGL driver problems are going to be coming from.  So since id Software and the last major users of OpenGL on Windows (at least so far as games are concerned) then their engines are the ones that vendors will be making sure work.

For other OSs where OpenGL is the only option I'd say something like Unity may be a better bet, but unless you're certain that you're going to have a significant number of users on those OSs you'll probably be focussing on Windows.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#7 JohnnyCode   Members   -  Reputation: 182

1Likes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

ATI (AMD?) Render Monkey is a software that has gl/dx version of every shader and workspace, it comes with SDK as well. I would also read OpenGL ES specification compared to OpenGL to spot what is native and apreciated for Khronos philosophies. Besides that, I would compare GLSL versioning  (wiki is rich on that particulary). 

#8 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3698

0Likes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

You should really start with OpenGL 3+ since OpenGL 2 is old, fixed function pipeline is old and.... Wait, wait, *looks at title* Oops, wrong thread.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

PARTNERS