• Create Account

Level Design in Visual Stuido 2013 & XNA

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 mousetail   Members   -  Reputation: 1209

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

So, I am working on a RPG, and I need a level editor. I first wanted to make it a separate program, with the game consisting of a engine, the game, and a level editor. The advantage of that was you could reuse the engine and the level editor to make more games. The problem is that the level editor should be able to import its own graphics without opening Visual Studio, but there doesn't seem to be a way to load external images. Yesterday I go the idea that instead of a separate program, the level editor could be a visual studio extension. The problem with that is I would need to update it many times while I already started using it, and I don't know if that would work.

This seems like a common problem, how do you do your level editing?

Sponsor:

#2 DpakoH   Members   -  Reputation: 990

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hi,

I didn't quite understand your extension idea, but what do you mean "the level editor should be able to import its own graphics without opening Visual Studio", why is that not possible?

#3 alkisbkn   Members   -  Reputation: 411

0Likes

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

I think he's talking about the content pipeline which is embedded in visual studio.

It's possible to build the pipeline in a separate assembly if I remember correctly to use it from other projects as well. I haven't used XNA in 3 years though so I may be mistaken. 

#4 LiberLogic969   Members   -  Reputation: 199

2Likes

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

I'm going to assume you are working in 2D, which in that case this tutorial has some very useful sections that I believe will help you : http://xnagpa.net/xna4rpg.php

You can load in Texture2D objects in a windows forms project using Texture2D.FromStream(...). You will need to set up a graphics device first within the WinForms project and there is a sample on creators club website that will show you how to do that : http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/winforms_series_1 . I believe the RPG tutorial I linked above uses that sample as its base for displaying the map and loading in textures.

Hopefully this info will help you out.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS