• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Navigation Mesh Dynamic Obstacle Avoidance

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hey there,

I'm currently trying to implement a navigation mesh that can be updated in real-time.

A well known paper for this issue is:

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gerae101/motion_planning/dynamic_navmesh.html

This method requires you to build a navigation mesh by constructing a medial axis and then update the medial axis at runtime.

I was wondering if techniques exist that split the polygons of the navigation mesh itself, but wasn't able to find anything on the web.

Now, i ran into an article in the book "AI Game Programming Wisdom 4" called "Dynamically Updating a Navigation Mesh via Efficient Polygon Subdivision" by Paul Marden and Forrest Smith, but unfortunately this book is out of print and costs about 400$ as a used copy.

I'm a student and can't afford this, but this article really seems to be what I've been looking for for days. 

Are there any papers that describe a similar algorithm by subdividing the polygons of a navigation mesh? Does anyone have this book and could describe the overall algorithm that is used?

Greetings!

Edited by Registred, 24 May 2014 - 12:52 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Jerry.Mouse   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

AI Game Programming Gems 4 , price 40 USD, NEW 

http://www.aiwisdom.com/resource_gpg4.html

#3 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunately, this is the "Game Programming Gems" - not the "AI Game Programming Wisdom".

I'm sorry I made a mistake in my first post - I wrote "AI Game Programming Gems".. well, correctly it's called "AI Game Programming Wisdom 4" - I edited it. 

Thanks for your effort, though :)

#4 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 2072

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

You could try a library.  That's how I was able to peruse that book =)

#5 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'd like to programm the algorithm myself.. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything till now..

#6 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 128

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Oh, you meant a book library, shame on me. I was searching the bigger libraries of our country and none of them had the book...

#7 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 2072

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, I was able to use my company's library, which I admit is more likely to have the book than say, your local public library.  Though not impossible.  If you are near a university, they may also have it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS