• Create Account

Navigation Mesh Dynamic Obstacle Avoidance

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hey there,

I'm currently trying to implement a navigation mesh that can be updated in real-time.

A well known paper for this issue is:

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gerae101/motion_planning/dynamic_navmesh.html

This method requires you to build a navigation mesh by constructing a medial axis and then update the medial axis at runtime.

I was wondering if techniques exist that split the polygons of the navigation mesh itself, but wasn't able to find anything on the web.

Now, i ran into an article in the book "AI Game Programming Wisdom 4" called "Dynamically Updating a Navigation Mesh via Efficient Polygon Subdivision" by Paul Marden and Forrest Smith, but unfortunately this book is out of print and costs about 400$ as a used copy.

I'm a student and can't afford this, but this article really seems to be what I've been looking for for days. 

Are there any papers that describe a similar algorithm by subdividing the polygons of a navigation mesh? Does anyone have this book and could describe the overall algorithm that is used?

Greetings!

Edited by Registred, 24 May 2014 - 12:52 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Jerry.Mouse   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

AI Game Programming Gems 4 , price 40 USD, NEW 

http://www.aiwisdom.com/resource_gpg4.html

#3 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunately, this is the "Game Programming Gems" - not the "AI Game Programming Wisdom".

I'm sorry I made a mistake in my first post - I wrote "AI Game Programming Gems".. well, correctly it's called "AI Game Programming Wisdom 4" - I edited it. 

Thanks for your effort, though :)

#4 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 1532

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

You could try a library.  That's how I was able to peruse that book =)

#5 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'd like to programm the algorithm myself.. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything till now..

#6 Registred   Members   -  Reputation: 121

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Oh, you meant a book library, shame on me. I was searching the bigger libraries of our country and none of them had the book...

#7 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 1532

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, I was able to use my company's library, which I admit is more likely to have the book than say, your local public library.  Though not impossible.  If you are near a university, they may also have it.

PARTNERS