• Create Account

IOTD comments/discussion?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

Poll: IOTD image discussions? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to comment on IOTD images?

1. Yes (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Should only IOTD images with a matching GDNet account be commentable?

1. Yes (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Should we tweet a reply when a comment is posted?

1. Yes (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9847

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

For a while we suffered from a lack of GDNet-submitted images, and had to switch to sourcing the IOTD (Image Of The Day) from the #screenshotsaturday twitter images. I'd say this has to all appearances been very successful, but somewhere along the way we seem to have lost in this transition is the ability to comment on the IOTDs. And I'm sad about this, because my experience was that some of the liveliest discussion threads on the old GDNet were around the IOTD galleries.

Now, I'd love to reboot that lively discussion, but having the images sourced from twitter presents some complications - primarily, the fact that the creator of any given IOTD image may or may not have an account here on GDNet. I'm worried that the image's creator may not know that the image is being commented on and discussed on our forums, and may not be able to respond and/or defend himself if the discussion turns unpleasant.

This doesn't have to be an insurmountable problem:

• We have fairly aggressive moderation of abusive comments across the site (would you agree?).
  • We have twitter login integration, so any twitter user should be able to login here (does it work? I've never tried).
  • We could potentially tweet back a reply with a link to the discussion here (might be construed as spam?).

So I guess my question is: what do you all think about this?

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

Sponsor:

#2 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1756

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

To be honest, I rarely check the IOTD anymore. If I'm looking for screenshots I just head over to screenshotsaturday. I remember the time where all IOTD images were from GDNet members, they had people commenting and showing interest. I also remember that giving some background info or a description was important in getting others involved, which is why I think adding the ability to comment isn't going to add much to the liveliness.

I guess Developer Journals come closest to the old IOTD, but I haven't gotten into the habbit of checking those out, nor am I very interested in doing so. Not sure if that is because I've changed, the concept is slighly different or that the way they're presented is different.

#3 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5180

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

If a member who has their screenshots on the site logs in through twitter it will automatically re-assign those images to that user account.   We are looking to make some additions to this that should be pretty good..  in particular this area:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/indie/index.html

Let's say you post a project:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/indie/project.html/_/strategy/the-mims-beginning-r20

All your screenshots will also be posted to the Screenshot Showdown simultaneously and linked back to the original project.   See this example, which includes a special project box that details the specific project that screenshot is related to.   If the image is picked up by Twitter only you won't see that.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/showdown/view.html/_/the-mims-beginning-r21009

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18487

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

I keep forgetting the "Projects" / "Indie Corner" area even exists. Apart from knowing the URL in the first place, how are you really supposed to navigate to it? Its discoverability seems really low.

At the very least, shouldn't it be in the "Community" tab on the header menu? Instead, all I see is a gallery (that I also didn't know existed), that apparently is hit by spam bots. 

vwivm 90 day loans 2694 online payday advance >:-OOO payday installment loans online sAoWq no credit check loans 9673

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#5 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17932

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

I keep forgetting the "Projects" / "Indie Corner" area even exists. Apart from knowing the URL in the first place, how are you really supposed to navigate to it?

It's not finished yet, so we haven't added it to the site navigation yet. smile.png

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS