• Create Account

Unity light and shadows occlusion

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 paradisepx   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hello, i am creating a voxel game on Unity(free edition) but i have a problem on lights.

While going deeper and deeper in the caves, there is no shadows linked by direction light anymore but the blocks continue to be lighted.

How can i disable this to enable darkness in the deep.

Sorry for my english, i'm French.

Cordialy,

ParadisePx

Edited by paradisepx, 24 May 2014 - 01:19 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 CowKing   Members   -  Reputation: 152

1Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

If this has a Minecraft aesthetic, I wouldn't use a traditional light at all. Each cube would be "lit" by itself with the use of vertex colors. It would read the value of the fake light/lights(prefab of some sort with a LightScript component; probably only need omni light and directional light) and edit its own vertex colors based on the normal.

The beauty is that you only need to update when: the cubes are on screen, a cube next to it has been modified(added/removed). I assume you have a way of culling the cubes that are surrounded on all six sides.

Unless ofcourse you're going for an actual complex voxel system, in which case, I got nothing at the moment.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS