• Create Account

Need help with 2D puddle

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 BradDaBug   Members   -  Reputation: 893

1Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

In my game kittens can dissolve into a puddle of goop, but I'm not happy with how the puddles look. You can see below.

I'm not sure what I can do to make them look better. How can I represent a puddle in this stylized way that matches the rest of the game on completely flat terrain? Any ideas?

puddle.jpg

And here is the puddle texture:

puddle.png

I like the DARK layout!

Sponsor:

#2 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1727

2Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

I'm not an artist, but maybe something like this?

goo.jpg

#3 BradDaBug   Members   -  Reputation: 893

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I like that a bit better than what I have. Here is my attempt (The dark spots aren't part of the decal. That's a bit of green smoke left by a kitten before it dissolved):

puddle2.jpg

But there's still something off about it. It could just be that it doesn't jibe with the blood. The blood is a little more realistic but the goop is very stylized.

I like the DARK layout!

#4 BagelHero   Members   -  Reputation: 1343

0Likes

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

....Maybe just recolor the blood to blue, then remove a bit of spatter? That way the style matches, and the amount of work put into the art assets is minimal.

#5 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1727

0Likes

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

I sort of like yours better, maybe because of the shape. I like the looks of your blood, not sure if you can make that look better in a stylized fashion. Btw, is this a circle or a sphere? You mentioned flat terrain, but I keep seeing this as a sphere.

#6 BradDaBug   Members   -  Reputation: 893

0Likes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

It's flat circle.

Here is another attempt. I based it on the blood decal, so it fits a little better, but it doesn't really look like a puddle. It looks more like... I'm not sure. But I think I'm going in the right direction. I just wish I knew how to make it look more puddle-y. Should the interior be smoother? And making a green puddle contrast against the green grass is tricky.

puddle3.jpg

I like the DARK layout!

#7 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1727

0Likes

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

What about a darker, tar like substance?

#8 BradDaBug   Members   -  Reputation: 893

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

I darkened and smoothed it, and now I'm feeling a bit better about it. It's a big improvement over what I had. But it still doesn't look quite right. It looks like a dried wax seal rather than a puddle of goo. I think I'll try to smooth out the edges a bit to make it look more wet and gooey.

puddle4.jpg

I like the DARK layout!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS