• Create Account

Link ASM object (aout) in AR archive? [GNU DJGPP] [NASM]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 BASICFreak   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

I hope I placed this in the right topic as AR and LD are "Tools" rolleyes.gif .

First note I realize my build script should be a MakeFile, but it's a cmd script.

Second note I have attempted to search Google, this Forum, and OSDEV but the keywords here are way to vague and only 2 letters so all results I saw did not relate to my situation.

Ok, I have currently one ASM file containing all the assembly code I need; but, while rewriting parts of the project I decided I want to break this one ASM file into about 6.

Let me dump some of the build script here before I get into my question...:

@ECHO IDT.C
gcc %GCC_OPTIONS% ./OBJ/IDT.O ./DRIVERSRC/SYSTEM/CPU/IDT.c
@ECHO IRQ.ASM
nasm -f aout ./DRIVERSRC/SYSTEM/CPU/IRQ.ASM ./OBJ/IRQA.O
@ECHO IRQ.C
gcc %GCC_OPTIONS% ./OBJ/IRQ.O ./DRIVERSRC/SYSTEM/CPU/IRQ.c

ar rvs ./DRIVER/sys.a ./OBJ/8259.O ./OBJ/GDT.O ./OBJ/IDT.O ./OBJ/IRQA.O ./OBJ/IRQ.O ./OBJ/TSS.O ./OBJ/FAT12.O
ar rvs ./DRIVER/sys.a ./OBJ/VFS.O ./OBJ/PAGEDIR.O ./OBJ/PAGEFAULT.O ./OBJ/PAGETABLE.O ./OBJ/PHYSICAL.O
ar rvs ./DRIVER/sys.a ./OBJ/VIRTUAL.O
@ECHO START.ASM
nasm -f aout ./KERNELSRC/START.ASM -o ./OBJ/START.O
@ECHO MAIN.C
gcc %GCC_OPTIONS% ./OBJ/MAIN.O ./KERNELSRC/MAIN.c
@ECHO COMMAND.C
gcc %GCC_OPTIONS% ./OBJ/COMMAND.O ./KERNELSRC/COMMAND.c
@ECHO LINKING KERNEL.BIN
LD -T %LD_SCRIPT% -o %OUTPUT_FILE% ./OBJ/START.O ./OBJ/MAIN.O ./OBJ/COMMAND.O ./LIB/lib.a ./DRIVER/sys.a ./DRIVER/hw.a

As you can see above my only ASM file "START.ASM" is compiled format AOUT and placed in directly with the LD command - this works fine.

But when I split this source file into the appropriate sections I run into one of two problems:

1. Add to the archive - Error returned "./DRIVER/sys.a: could not read symbols: File truncated"

2. Add files to LD command - LD becomes too long and the system cannot process it.

The reason I oppose a MakeFile so much is I am constantly rebuilding / testing and a simple BATCH loop with a menu is great - plus I haven't sat down to find out how one is constructed...huh.png

So, anyways, my question is - Is there a way to archive ASM and C objects in the same library, or is there an all-together better way of doing this?

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS