• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Scott Meyers - The Last Thing D Needs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheComet   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1996

5Likes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/47947981

Great talk, I recommend watching it if you have the time.

It's a summary of some of the peculiarities found in C++, centered around the topic of how hard standardization is and what is to become of the C++ standard in the future.

Edited by TheComet, 27 May 2014 - 05:20 PM.

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

Sponsor:

#2 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3515

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Thanks, will look at it tomorrow.

#3 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 11355

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

Cheers, watching it now.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

#4 Starnick   Members   -  Reputation: 1403

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

Still watching, but holy cow...He-Man hair :D

#5 Ryan_001   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1809

0Likes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

I love Scott Meyers.

#6 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3515

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

Never Seen a Scott Meyers talk before. Dude is hilarious. Thanks for sharing

#7 Eelco   Members   -  Reputation: 301

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Great talk. Reminds me of why I don't use C++ for anything but extension modules.

Speaking of which, its over ten years ago that I started using D. Havnt touched it in a while, but a) im getting old, and b) shame that it hasn't caught on more yet.

That being said, pyd is looking pretty cool; it might just be the entry point I need to start using D more again.

#8 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 25310

2Likes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

If you haven't already seen them, I found the GoingNative conference videos very informative.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal | [Fly with me on Twitter

#9 kunos   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2222

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

I think the most relevant D talk about games remains this one from last year DConf:

https://archive.org/details/dconf2013-day01-talk05

As for D it's quite tricky for me to try to explain why it never really picked up. It might be the fact that there is no major force behind them, it's obvious when looking at languages like Go and Rust with their big corporate image behind them.

I also think it is missing the "WoW factor".. things like compile time meta programming is way above the head of the average programmer. I remember spending a day trying to figure out how to do operator overloading and it wasn't pretty nor intuitive at all... I kept thinking: "what's the point of this if I can use C#?"

Rust and Go bring with them new programming concepts and approach that make you feel you are solving your problems in a more efficient way instead of writing C++ with some added sugar.

#10 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9855

1Likes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

I am actually going to kick this out of the Lounge.

#11 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6617

1Likes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

YouTube mirror: 

That 'ustream' thing is slow as fck on my end.

Edited by TheChubu, 30 May 2014 - 10:09 PM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#12 TheComet   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1996

1Likes

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Still watching, but holy cow...He-Man hair biggrin.png

Sorry but I'm not sorry

ohgod.jpg

(however, I am sorry for reviving a thread that was at the bottom of the board. I hope that's ok)

Edited by TheComet, 06 June 2014 - 12:56 PM.

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS