• Create Account

C++, getting input from console

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Krlitus   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hi,

I am programming my first game framework in c++ and I have a console where I print debug info. Now I want to be able to introduce commands. The problem is  that I dont know how to get the console input without pausing the main game loop. How can I do it? Do I need to separate it in another thread?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 11859

5Likes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Yes, using a separate thread is certainly a solution. You can also check if there is input available in a non-blocking manner, but the language doesn't provide a standard way to do this, so you need to rely on platform-specific solutions.

Here's a POSIX implementation (I use this on Linux and Mac OS X):
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

bool is_there_input() {
  struct timeval tv = {0l, 0l};
  fd_set rfds;
  FD_ZERO(&rfds);
  FD_SET(0, &rfds);

return select(1, &rfds, 0, 0, &tv);
}

#3 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5268

0Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Check your compiler's non standard console headers. Most ship with something like getkey() or something that checks for a key press but returns immediately if none down.

You can poll this in your main loop. Threading is probably overkill for this and brings a host of its own complications

If you are using Win32 there are facilities in the Win32 console API to respond to key events asynchronously too.

#4 BeerNutts   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2550

0Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

kbhit() is provided in conio.h, if your compiler supports it.  That's a simple way to check if a keyboard key has been hit without blocking.

example

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

#5 Ectara   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2763

0Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hi,

I am programming my first game framework in c++ and I have a console where I print debug info. Now I want to be able to introduce commands. The problem is  that I dont know how to get the console input without pausing the main game loop. How can I do it? Do I need to separate it in another thread?

Thanks.

From reading this, I can't tell if you're talking about outputting to the OS's console, or a shell, or if you have a custom graphical console within the application's window.

If the former, as mentioned, you could try kbhit() in Windows, or using termio in *nix, or something else like that.

If the latter, you could poll for input if you determine that the console has focus, and filter out the key presses that you want into a line buffer, before submitting it for parsing.

Neither of these solutions require a separate thread, but if you really, really want to, you can spend a thread on it.

PARTNERS