• Create Account

Voxel cone tracing problem

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 godmodder   Members   -  Reputation: 712

0Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hello,

I have succesfully implemented some ambient occlusion with voxel cone tracing. It is a very simple implementation, that renders the scene in 6 directions to separate 3D textures.

To improve performance, I wanted to switch to the single-pass voxelization method. The voxelization works and I get better performance. However, if I want to cone trace my ambient occlusion I now get very ugly self-intersection artifacts everywhere. This is because every cone now starts looking for intersections in 1 single 3D texture that comprises the entire scene. How do I avoid these artifacts? Anyone had this problem with VCT before?

PS: I have tried an offset in the surface normal direction to start tracing in the shader, which somewhat improves the situation but doesn't eliminate the artifacts completely. Unless I set it to a huge distance ofcourse, but then my shadows start disappearing.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jeroen

Edited by godmodder, 29 May 2014 - 09:40 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 gboxentertainment   Members   -  Reputation: 770

0Likes

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

Can you show some screenshots of your problem?

I used dominant direction method with a single 3D texture and never had any issues with my VCT.

giboxv3-0.png

#3 godmodder   Members   -  Reputation: 712

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

Hi,

This is the method with 6 separate 3D textures:

ao_normal.jpg

And this is what I get with one big texture (or even 3 textures in which +X/-X  and -Y/Y   and -Z/Z fragments are merged)

ao_fucked.jpg

This is what I get with some offset distance in the shader code:

ao_lessfucked.jpg

As you can see, there is some improvement, but the artifacts never dissappear completely.

#4 gboxentertainment   Members   -  Reputation: 770

0Likes

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:37 AM

Actually, I just realised you are talking about ambient occlusion; which I didn't implement using VCT because its too inaccurate.

Edited by gboxentertainment, 07 June 2014 - 03:39 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS