• Create Account

Creating a code editor/IDE

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 DarkRonin   Members   -  Reputation: 610

0Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hi Guys,

What would be the fastest way to create some sort of basic code editor/IDE.

Ideally I am after a way to open files, edit them, etc... and later on add to this with windows where you could create check boxes (to toggle items and so on) which can then alter sections of the code (true/false).

Possible a bit vague what I am saying here.

In some aspects almost like a level editor.

Thanks in advance. smile.png

Sponsor:

#2 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 15692

9Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Easiest route is to use an existing code editing widget like Scintilla, and just wrap the UI you want around it.

#3 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13574

5Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

I use Scintilla and SciTE for the code editor in MHS.
I recommend, assuming you want something for Windows.

If you want cross-platform capabilities (you seem not to, but for the sake of completeness…), I am not sure what to recommend as a code editor but a custom widget in Qt, while a lot of effort, would work.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#4 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1620

0Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Scite is actually the IDE packaged with the engine I use. It works well.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#5 CRYP7IK   Members   -  Reputation: 936

1Likes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

I would use wxWidgets. Mostly because it comes with an easy to use cross platform scintilla like API and an example using it. So I would use wxSTC with wxAUI with dynamic notebooks.

wxSTC handles a lot of the things you would need in a code editor have a look at:

http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxStyledTextCtrl

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_styled_text_ctrl.html

for features and the API.

To accomplish great things we must first dream, then visualize, then plan...believe... act! - Alfred A. Montapert
Gold Coast Studio Manager, Lead Programmer and IT Admin at Valhalla Studios Bifrost.

#6 Penkovskiy   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

How would somebody go about making a dynamic autocomplete functionality in a custom IDE using Scintilla? I can't find anything about this.

#7 DoctorGlow   Members   -  Reputation: 803

2Likes

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Did you find this: http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#Autocompletion

Edited by DoctorGlow, 31 May 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5979

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:51 AM

I've written script editors in Qt in the past and its pretty good. There is a wealth of example code, including a sample in the official Qt documentation, for things like syntax highlighting, showing line numbers, having a clickable gutter and so on.

Qt even has a QCompleter class which works within Qt's model-view architecture so very clean to use.

Scintilla is also excellent of course.

#9 Penkovskiy   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

DoctorGlow thanks for the documentation, I was hoping I could find a live example of source code for an IDE that implements a dynamic auto-complete system preferably written in Scintilla, however I have had no luck on the search engines.

#10 CRYP7IK   Members   -  Reputation: 936

2Likes

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

There are two projects that use wxWidgets \ scintilla for a code editor or IDE and they both have some form of auto-complete and snippets, they are also open source. They also show off plugin architecture and pretty much everything to do with getting your own IDE up.

code::blocks

codelite

To accomplish great things we must first dream, then visualize, then plan...believe... act! - Alfred A. Montapert
Gold Coast Studio Manager, Lead Programmer and IT Admin at Valhalla Studios Bifrost.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS