• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Game engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2175

0Likes

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hey guys,

having written my own game engine for 2+ years now specifically for a game I made, I think I want to put that thing aside. It's not a great engine and I have never actually worked with someone elses work before.

I wrote a huge library (vectors matrices quaternions frustum creation) added GLFW AssImp stb_image, noise functions, sound&music blabla. Added supersampling, multisampling SSAO lens flare, day&night, water shader using derivative simplex and so on. And so on.

My biggest problem has been learning bone rigging and physics. I'll get there someday. So I think I'm going to seriously get into a/any game engine.

Can anyone recommend me a multiplatform OpenGL-based game engine (windows and linux for my use-case)? It doesn't have to be well supported, it doesn't have to support older API versions, but it does have to be extensive, and hopefully fairly low level. What I want the most from it is the ability to do some design, or some good way to edit content. Is this an expected part of a game engine, or do you usually include scenes as meshes and then tie it all together with scripting? I hope there is no contradictions in what I want, what I said, and reality.

Feel free to plug your own creation, if you dare. =)

EDIT: Turns out I posted this is graphics programming & theory. Not where I was going to post it..

Edited by Kaptein, 04 June 2014 - 11:18 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 uglybdavis   Members   -  Reputation: 940

0Likes

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Exactly what you are looking for: http://www.gameplay3d.org/

#3 Eric Lengyel   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2393

0Likes

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

You might like the C4 Engine: http://www.terathon.com/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS