• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

Easy to use mobile game engine for beginner

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adj37   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

Hello everyone smile.png

I'm wanting to build a mobile game where you run around a randomly generated maze set up that has multiple paths (similar to the style of bomberman/wario blast )and collect a set number of items. Then a door/portal will open which you go through and it resets & generates another random scene. Also there will be enemies randomlly walking around that will one shot kill you if they are facing you and within a certain range.

I would like to know what game engine would be best for making this game. I have absolutely no programming experience what so ever but I'm willing to learn what I need to. The models I've created aren't complicated at all and have basic colours so I don't think I'll need something powerful on the graphics front.

Thank you in advance for any help smile.png

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22242

1Likes

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

2D or 3D? For 3D, personally I would consider Unity since there are a huge number of pre-built parts out there. For 2D I might consider one of the game engines like GameMaker:Studio or GameSalad.

Even so, using an engine with a lot of existing content will still require a lot of work from you.

There are a very large number of other engines out there, so if you go that route, search Google and come up with a list on your own, along with the pros and cons of each.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#3 kburkhart84   Members   -  Reputation: 1711

0Likes

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

If you have a budget, GameMaker Studio is likely to be your best choice for 2d.  If you have ZERO budget, then you can use Unity.  There are other options, but these are becoming the most popular in many crowds.

Unity Free is great for many things, especially for 3d, and it includes exports(though limited in some things) for mobile and desktops.  But, it tends to be more difficult to learn, and it can be overkill for 2d games considering alternatives. But if you are interested in learning 3d later, it is a wise time investment because the scripting is the same though the assets are different.

GameMaker Studio is likely the BEST option for 2d games.  It has a much better learning curve than Unity for most people, and what it does with 2d is far ahead of what Unity can do with 2d, even with the new 2d stuff that came with Unity 4.2(? or 4.3).  The only exception would be things that require 3d with 2d gameplay, but besides those certain things, Gamemaker is king.  The catch, the free version only exports to Windows.  Before today, the free version was truly limiting, as in only a certain amount of resources, but now the Free version is the same as the standard version, but with a forced splash screen and no exports except for windows.  But, you can use this version to learn the software and figure out if it will be worth it for you, and then you can upgrade to Master Collection(if you want all the exports) or just the Pro version with added exports for what you want.

I currently have and use GameMaker Studio Master Collection.  I can't claim to have made money with it, though I would say it is simply because I'm not as dedicated as I should be, not any fault of GameMaker itself.

#4 Adj37   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

I've downloaded the free version of Gamemaker Studio and have been playing around in it, doing a few tutorials. It looks like it'll work perfectly for what I need.

Thank you both for the replies :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS