• Create Account

Adobe products for mobile development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 NewVoxel   Members   -  Reputation: 303

0Likes

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

It's been over six years since I last used any adobe products, but I'm interested in utilizing them again for the mobile development features that have been added. I simply need to know what are the bare bone essentials required to get through the development process.

If possible I'd like the following features from the software:

• iOS publishing from a windows machine (and obviously android)
  • Vector graphics software
  • Skeletal animation software
  • A few frameworks to play with like Box2D

After looking at the Adobe website I can see that they give away a free Skeletal animation program (Dragon bones), but the rest I'm not so sure about. I'm not made of money so will Flash CS6 be all I need to create quality games like Angry Birds and have them published to all platforms, or do I also need to purchase other tools like Flash-Builder and Adobe Illustrator?

I don't need lots of bells and whistles but if anyone could recommend a good collection of tools to make the development process easier that would be great. I don't remember them having so many different applications and I'm too overwhelmed by them all.

EDIT* After a bit more research I see that Flash CS6 and possibly even 5 have more than enough capabilities to perform what I desire. Looks like there's no way to publish to the app store without a mac though, but looks like one can just be borrowed after I've developed from a windows machine.

Edited by NewVoxel, 10 June 2014 - 01:41 AM.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

Sponsor:

#2 stupid_programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 1066

1Likes

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

Get FlashDevelop instead.  Free and it is an actual IDE.  Flash CS is horrible for code editing or maintaining a large code base.

You can make an .ipa on a Windows machine but if you were going to do any kind of native code then you are going to need XCode.  And you still need ApplicationLoader to get your .ipa to iTunes.  Mac minis are $600.  Buy one of those instead of the Flash CS license.

AIR on mobiles is horribly slow.  You could get away with a few vector images but the advantage of AIR is that you can use the GPU for drawing so vectors will need to be converted to bitmaps.  You can use the CPU to draw but then you are adding extra overhead to the CPU to calculate the vectors.

Box2DFlash works great in ActionScript.  You won't get the performance of the C++ version but it works well enough for throwing some boxes and ragdolls around.

#3 Crichton333   Members   -  Reputation: 240

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Well Adobe has PhoneGap but its for HTML5 which for me is about 10x time saver than the old Flash route. You can publish for iOS, Android, WP8 and some others.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: 2048 Numbers Mania -- Android: 2048 Numbers Mania

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS