• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Is your IDE hot or not?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

#1 NewVoxel   Members   -  Reputation: 386

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

I’m a typeface geek, and when it comes to selecting a font I’ll stare at all day, I tend to be pretty picky. Recently, when I discovered that a friend was using a sub par typeface (too horrible to name here) for his Terminal and coding windows, my jaw dropped, my heart sank a little, and I died a bit inside.

Color schemes are another thing users should be weary of. It's debatable that dark fonts on light backgrounds provide a better reading experience, but I'm a fan of the darker themes so my eyes don't start bleeding after staring at the monitor for several continuous hours.

So what setup are you currently rockin'? Post 'em now!

hot_IDE.png

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

Sponsor:

#2 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2055

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

I'm rather the opposite. As long as the font is clean and easy to tell a t from an i and j, then I don't really care which font it is. I very rarely bother to change much from an editor's default settings. I think the only real non-default setting I have for my Eclipse installs across all my systems is to change the comment colour, as my Python projects were defaulting to this light grey that was overly hard to read quickly on a white background.

As for eye strain, illumination contrast does far more for it than the actual brightness or lack thereof on the screen. If you room is well lit for your screen brightness, than you are generally good, assuming your setup is laid out well so that you're not getting glare. And having at least two focal distances to work with goes a very long way toward avoiding eye strain. If you stare at a screen that is a fixed distance from yourself day in and day out, then your eyes are going to feel worse. Far better to keep moving your focus five or ten feet several times an hour. (TV or or something on the other side of the room works well, just remember to glance up at it every few minutes. Even just putting your secondary monitors such that you are looking a foot or so farther away can count for a lot at the end of the day.)

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#3 imoogiBG   Members   -  Reputation: 1463

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Random internet pic:

monokai_monodevelop.png

I'm using monokai for C++ + everything else on VS with semantic  colorization disabled (actually enabled only for user types).

As for eye strain, illumination contrast does far more for it than the actual brightness or lack thereof on the screen. If you room is well lit for your screen brightness, than you are generally good, assuming your setup is laid out well so that you're not getting glare. And having at least two focal distances to work with goes a very long way toward avoiding eye strain. If you stare at a screen that is a fixed distance from yourself day in and day out, then your eyes are going to feel worse. Far better to keep moving your focus five or ten feet several times an hour. (TV or or something on the other side of the room works well, just remember to glance up at it every few minutes. Even just putting your secondary monitors such that you are looking a foot or so farther away can count for a lot at the end of the day.)

+1

Edited by imoogiBG, 11 June 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Code Fox   Members   -  Reputation: 2160

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

For me, a simple layout that has all the buttons in easy to click locations. Color coding, debug, and a "run" feature are a must.

Command line editors I hate ( is this 1985 or 2014 ?! ).

Eclipse and QT, are what I use most of the time.

Edited by Shippou, 11 June 2014 - 12:53 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless

that for some people it is a complete substitute for life .

~ Andrew Brown

#5 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8254

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

Qt Creator, and its all been about Consolas for years now for me. I don't think I could code in another font now.

#6 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1034

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:18 AM

VS 2013, dark theme. Desktop at 150% scale. I never touch the commandline. as @Shippou said: it's 2014. Not 1985.

If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

#7 TheComet   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1897

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Code::Blocks, dark theme, colours inspired by Vi, Consolas font for all source files.

I use the command line a lot for things like git, makefiles, file management, or simple test projects where I can't be damned to fire up an IDE and create a project.

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#8 Truerror   Members   -  Reputation: 469

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

VS2013 for C#. Dark theme.

Intellij Idea for Java. Also dark theme.

Sublime Text for simple scripting. Monokai dark theme.

For font, I use Monaco in all three. I don't use Apple's products, but this font is the best Apple has given me. :)

#9 Migi0027 (肉コーダ)   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3134

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

VS2013 for C++.

Dark Theme with some mods.

Work with Visual Assist X ( Its a great help ), with some mods as well to the color scheme.

And for other files I use Notepad++, such as for HLSL shaders. smile.png

Hi!

Game-Dev Journal: www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/

Wordpress Journal: cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

#10 Crichton333   Members   -  Reputation: 333

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

VS, Codeblock, Eclipse, Netbeans, but I never pimp my ride, cant stand colors. Got used to coding on my black and white monitor from way back.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

#11 ilreh   Members   -  Reputation: 281

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

I use vim for everything. I don't care for colors/fonts very much. The only thing that I need (apart from not using obvious stuff like striking red background) is clear distinction, comments not being too striking and some monospaced font.

#12 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6521

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

VS2013.  I changed the text background color to {225,225,225}, but otherwise left everything else the same as the light theme.  The slightly gray background temendously decreases eye strain.

#13 Bearhugger   Members   -  Reputation: 789

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I don't care a big deal about font as long as it's monospace and not stylized. (I don't want to read code in Old English!) I care a lot more about the colors than the actual fonts.

My editor of choice is Visual Studio 2013 with the dark theme and most default settings. The only change I made was making the XML doc comments another color, and the XML tags within them very dim so when I read the comments I'm not distracted by the XML formatting. I'm a library writer so I write a lot of XML doc in order to produce a clean API reference.

Other IDEs I use, I don't use them nearly enough to customize them. I use Qt Creator for Linux-specific code, but I try to write code standard enough to not have to do that in the first place. I only ever use Xcode and Eclipse when writing and debugging OSX/iOS or Android specific code, otherwise I'll just write it in VS 2013 and then use a little program that will wrap the code and send it to be compiled.

#14 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9366

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

I for one do not buy into the dark background thing. I can understand why it is much more comfortable for cave dwellers. I like to work in well lit (diffused natural light, ideally) environments with bias lighting, and in those environments dark backgrounds burn the hell out of my retinas. As for other IDE customizations, I've done less and less over the years. I'm routinely working on half a dozen different machines in different operating systems and IDEs. I've learned that most of what you think you need to be productive is in your imagination. I am very fond of the productivity power tools package in VS, primarily for the badass margin/scroll:

EnhancedScrollbarVS2010.PNG

#15 SeraphLance   Members   -  Reputation: 1733

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

I've always felt like the black vs white color scheme thing bordered on mythical.  I don't think I've ever felt "eye strain" before.  Is it like that tired-eye sensation you get from lack of sleep?  Is it pain?

As for the color scheme I use, it's usually the default for a given platform, dark or otherwise.  The only exception is that godawful default on vim where comments are dark blue on black or something asinine like that.

#16 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 10279

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

I for one do not buy into the dark background thing. I can understand why it is much more comfortable for cave dwellers. I like to work in well lit (diffused natural light, ideally) environments with bias lighting, and in those environments dark backgrounds burn the hell out of my retinas.

Cave dwellers...

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#17 Alessio1989   Members   -  Reputation: 2634

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

VS2013, dark theme, VC++ pre-set config, line numbers, wide scrollbar tool-tip, custom formatting rules, dual monitor (unfortunately with very different screen size and resolution).. end.of-story.

Edited by Alessio1989, 15 June 2014 - 01:06 PM.

When you're upset, just imagine a T-Rex making a bed

#18 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 37516

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

I can't stand either pure white background or pure black backgrounds - the contrast is uncomfortable to look at all day.

8FdXXj2.png

Edited by Hodgman, 15 June 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#19 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2705

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Here's mine

k2FpkIg.jpg

#20 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2920

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

I am very fond of the productivity power tools package in VS, primarily for the badass margin/scroll:

Amen, brother. That thing is great.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS