• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

UE 4/UDK 4 learning curve and documentation compared to UDK 3?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gureen Ryuu   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hello all! 

I wanted to ask about the learning curve of Unreal Engine 4 when compared to Unreal Engine 3, as well as the state/abundance of documentation and tutorials online.

The reason I ask is, I remember UDK 3 having a rather steep learning curve. I've tried a few years ago back when I was still in university, but the documentation was somewhat lacking, and the tutorials I found online were either broken because of being outdated, or didn't really dive into the core of things that actually matter if you're making a game that's not an FPS. 

I pretty spent a month or two just looking at how to get anything done, and failing, as opposed to when I used Unity a couple years later and managed to make radical changes (RTS controls, units moving around in groups, etc..) in a couple of months. But then again, I'm not sure if it was because by then I had graduated and had acquired a lot of experience in programming, or because UDK's learning curve is much steeper than Unity's.. 

So I was wondering if someone who used both UDK3 and UDK4/UE4 could tell me if the situation is different this time around and if getting into UE4 would be relatively easier than UDK3.

Sponsor:

#2 Gureen Ryuu   Members   -  Reputation: 162

1Likes

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?9244-UE-4-UDK-4-learning-curve-and-documentation-compared-to-UDK-3&p=73884&viewfull=1#post73884

For those who are interested!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS