• Create Account

Valves Source 2 & Dota 2

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2148

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

There was a discussion on reddit where some people agreed that Valve could port Dota 2 to Source 2 engine once it was completed, for various reasons.

See: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/27va6d/with_source_2_on_the_horizon_do_you_guys_think/

My initial reaction was that it sounds completely unreasonable, and likely a massive undertaking for little gain.

Dota2 is most likely (some high%) dota-specific code and (some low%) integration with a "modified" Source engine.

I personally don't see the benefits of doing, it even if they could do it in only a few months time, so, am I missing something?

So, what do you think? Is it unthinkable?

I could see Valve doing this if they were very sure that it would lower the minimum requirements for the game.

If they phase out XP support for Source 2, there could be some gains there, no?

Edited by Kaptein, 11 June 2014 - 09:58 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Alessio1989   Members   -  Reputation: 1999

1Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Valve did many "visual upgrades" in its games (like HDR upgrades and the new Gold Source OGL only implementation) and every-time they bring a good set of bugs, new awesome ways to crash the game, more sound system hangs and periodically decreased on-line performance. None of those updates provided real benefits to the end users in my opinion, plus those updates provides issues on the server side too (yes, I know it shouldn't..) .

Fortunately Valve is constantly active in support all its games (recent and "legacy"), so most of the bugs they add they also fix them (sound hangs and online performance excluded..).

Dunno what is the cause, probably it is due the structure of the entire game engine, you can have a look at it on github (a piece of, some parts are compiled only).

Summary: one of my favourite fundamental rules of programming is "If something works and works well, try to cut your fingers if you are bored, but don't attempt to touch that code!"... So does the graphics of Dota 2 work well? Yes, it's better thay don't change it (unless you work at CD Project Red, The Withcher 1\2 enhanced editions where both happy and good surprises).

Edited by Alessio1989, 11 June 2014 - 07:00 PM.

"Software does not run in a magical fairy aether powered by the fevered dreams of CS PhDs"

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS