GLbasic?

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dalphin   Members   -  Reputation: 176

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to learn java.

I'm just at the beginnen (at variables precisely), but it's already really hard for me.

So i saw someone, who started with http://www.glbasic.com/. It has to be much more easy to learn.

Is it a good idea to start learning this and then move on to Java, or doesn't have they anything to do with each other?

If you think this isn't a good idea, do you please have a good tutorial or way to learn Java for me?

Many thanks! 

Sponsor:

#2 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1954

6Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Not sure how useful it will be to learn GLBasic. Seeing as there's a "free" and "premium" version, and its featureset seems to be really limited.

I would start with Java. Or Python, or anything that is proven and has a huge userbase that is able to help you with things directly and indirectly.

Imagine yourself searching for solutions to problem using this limited windows-only compiler suite.

With Java and Python people here can help you, and you can find tons of resources and solutions on the internet.

#3 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3853

3Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

I would start with Java.

+1

https://www.udacity.com/course/cs046

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#4 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Here is a free e-book that is great for new folks to Java [LINK] . Just read it, and do the assignments.

Excellent tool for new folks to programming.

( May also want to grab Eclipse IDE )

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#5 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1530

1Likes

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Using external libraries isn't supported in the free version of GlBasic. No thanks.

Stick with Java, you will make it over the "syntax hump" at some point, and then it will all be about learning concepts.

I'm just at the beginnen (at variables precisely), but it's already really hard for me.

What specifically are you having trouble with?

Edited by minibutmany, 11 June 2014 - 06:46 PM.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#6 Dalphin   Members   -  Reputation: 176

0Likes

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Well yeah i started with the oracle java tutorial, i understand it, till they explain some about variables and data types (http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/datatypes.html). There's a lot of theory, but for a beginner just as me, it's really hard to understand and remember, without any experience.

BTW: THANKS TO ALL!!!! I try starting udacity first then read the book and i hope i learn something from that

Edited by Dalphin, 12 June 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#7 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

0Likes

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

It can be quite confusing at first, but data types are very easy once you get to use them a bit.

A variable is a container that holds a specific type of information

A data type is what the information actually is.  ( IE: words, numbers, classes e.t.c. )

String w = "Hello World!";
int x = 1;
double y = 2.4;

String int and double are data types.

w x and y and variables.

Note: All variables must have a data type when you first declare them.

Edited by Shippou, 12 June 2014 - 10:56 AM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#8 bigindie   Members   -  Reputation: 100

-2Likes

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi,

If you are having trouble learning JAVA, it's not a bad idea to start with BASIC. That's what BASIC was designed for anyways. To help people who have never programmed to learn the basics of programming. JAVA, C++, etc. are languages that you can learn later. I can tell you that today's BASIC is in most cases far from the BASIC that was first introduced long ago. In some cases like Visual Studio no matter what language you program in it all compiles to the same code (.net). So it just comes down to what you can understand. If you can't understand JAVA right now, learn BASIC and then move on once you are comfortable. I also tried to learn JAVA at one time, but then I went to BASIC and have pretty much stayed there ever since. 

#9 Avilius   Members   -  Reputation: 192

0Likes

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Visual Studio no matter what language you program in it all compiles to the same code (.net)

Native C/C++ (without any MS's MFC additions) compile to the native PE executable format.

So it just comes down to what you can understand.

I'm not sure what compiling to .net has to do with anything really.

#10 bigindie   Members   -  Reputation: 100

-2Likes

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Visual Studio no matter what language you program in it all compiles to the same code (.net)

Native C/C++ (without any MS's MFC additions) compile to the native PE executable format.

So it just comes down to what you can understand.

I'm not sure what compiling to .net has to do with anything really.

what I was trying to say is that in general Visual studio is designed so that a programmer can program in the language he is comfortable with and still produce the same type of .net compiled code. I'm sure you can do other types of compiles, but I was just saying in general. It all comes down to what someone can understand and a beginner should start off easy and then move on to harder languages. 

Edited by bigindie, 13 June 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#11 Avilius   Members   -  Reputation: 192

0Likes

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

But compiling to ".net code" has nothing to do anything.

a beginner should start off easy and then move on to harder languages. 

On learning, it depends on how someone learns languages. Some people like a top-down approach, which involves learning high-level languages first, then they move lower. For myself (and quite a few others), they prefer learning low-level languages first, then they learn higher-level languages.

#12 MrTAToad2   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

I think you would find learning BASIC to be very beneficial instead of trying to understand Java straight away.

And yes, GLBasic would be as good as any other place to start. The feature set isn't "limited" as some wag said.

It is easy to learn, fast to compile and programs run just fine on different platforms if you so wish.

If you feel the need to use a different BASIC, there is also PureBasic, Blitz Basic of various sorts and of course DarkBasic of various types - so there is a lot of choice.

Don't listen to neighseyers who still think BASIC is still stuck in the 1980's - it 'ain't - BASIC is just as capable as C/C++ or even Java. And yes, there are BASIC's for web server programming.

PARTNERS