CCG inspired game mechanics

Started by
3 comments, last by Geoffrey 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi.

Recently I have uncovered the game Battle Cry (browser based, not the one showcased at e3).
I was blown back by their take on the CCG genre (without ever using cards or decks).

I am currently looking for similar games that feel ccg but are not.
D.O.T. defender of texel also fits these criteria.

Have you guys come across a game that genuinely felt ccg but wasn't?

Advertisement

I gave it a quick try, it's more like a tabletop game, except with less control(which is weird since most tabletops are off line)

I agree that it is hard to pinpoint the exact CCG mechanics, but it has the same feel, especially the collectible part where you purchase packs to get equipment/creatures/etc.

I believe the implementation is more interesting however because your "deck building" does not result in you never finding that "one card". You start with everything in play, therefore it is much more deterministic and has a higher strategic value.

Pox Nora is an online game that's sort of a hybrid between a CCG and a miniatures tactical game.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Battle Cry's quite a cool game!

It isn't super clear what you're looking for. Lots of modern games have collectible elements, e.g. the numerous gun unlocks in Call of Duty, ship variants in FTL etc. The collectable mechanic is used a lot because it tends to keep people coming back for more! However these games lack any kind of 'deck building' component.

I'm always quick to recommend Spectromancer, a game with creatures, spells and moment to moment gameplay a bit like a CCG - but no deck of cards and no deck building (at least in a standard duel).

Also feel free to ignore this self-promotion, but I love CCGs so much I developed my own, The Trouble With Robots. It does have conventional cards and decks, but is a single player game where you fight waves of enemies rather than participate in online duels. It also has real time elements and ditches the mana system for something simpler.

The Trouble With Robots - www.digitalchestnut.com/trouble

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement