• Create Account

GhoulsMiner

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

1Likes

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

nLl5Pk9.png

This is our game from SkyForts. It's a platformer game with additional mechanic such as stage-rotating and tile-headbutt.
The game itself told the story of Welsho Nion who had sold her soul to a Devil. Instead of killing Nion and took her soul, the Devil made Nion his subordinate and forced her to collect souls. Thus, Nion's day as ghouls-miner begins.

0zboMOV.gif
GhoulsMiner's main screen

Game PlaymsYC5V8.gif

The objective on GhoulsMiner is to collect fragment souls inside dungeon by using Nion’s 3 basic ability: Platforming, Headbutting, and Stage-Rotating, which are the core-mechanics of this game.
Fragment soul resides on Gem and Ghoul, so to get them Nion has to mine gem or beat ghouls.

sfRb6Vf.gif
inside the dungeon

The Gem itself also acts as ingame-currency that Nion could use to upgrade her powerup. There are 3 types of gem, so we use 3 currency system.

0Y0o7M8.png
shop

Our inspiration for the game comes from Mario, Spelunky, Pacman, etc.

Team7WJCZYJ.gif
GhoulsMiner is being worked on by 2 people.
Myself, mostly working on the code, and spiralhalo doing the graphic and story.

That's all for now. Later I will explain more about gameplay and story.

Meanwhile, you could follow us on http://skyforts.tumblr.com/ and @SkyForts

Edited by blue_mc, 29 July 2014 - 07:26 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7752

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

Actually looks great. The twist mechanic is reminiscent of Lazy Raiders and the ghost-chasing made me chuckle (feels like Pac-Man!!).

Would love to play it!

#3 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

0Likes

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Actually looks great. The twist mechanic is reminiscent of Lazy Raiders and the ghost-chasing made me chuckle (feels like Pac-Man!!).

Would love to play it!

thanks biggrin.png
Lazy Raiders seems cool, I probably should try it.

The game is still slowly worked on. I hope I could increase my pace faster dry.png
Anyway, I made a design for the Devil, what do you think guys.

ymcHZ2f.png

#4 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

halo had been working on Nion sprite

msYC5V8.gifv1  K9CqRQ9.gifv2 AjM97gh.gifv3

The left one is the first sprite that he made. Then he changed it to v2, but it's not really fit on the stage. So v3 is the current sprite that we use.

There's also other form that Nion would use after taking powerups. But it's still based on v2 style. We might change it later.

dhFokEd.gifcBwjOcn.gifSLOkLCS.gif

#5 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

0Likes

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

we made some notable changes to the game recently

now the game has mission system that asks player to complete missions in 4 different dungeons. another addition includes a harder block variant. Spiralhalo revamped the art to match the change, as well as adding some cool contrast. you can tell which are the harder block variant by their similarity. There are still some correction to be done but we liked the new style so far

y05B8Ri.gif

following the mission system, the house now has 4 trophy slots that stores a new trophy for every dungeon cleared. you will be able to access an endless mode for each dungeon from those trophies later (the cat double is due to debugging)

WNC9Ohk.png

#6 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

jjaHXa6.png

Art & character design progress for Welsho Nion, the bottom-right will be used for dialogue avatar.

The top images were done by spiralhalo. You can see the initial design that he made. He actually responsible to draw dialogue avatar too, but I forced him to give that task to me.

I wanted to draw something that not too anime, I even draw something creepy. But the final piece is still looking anime-ish mockangry.gif

#7 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

1Likes

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:21 AM

4s9uNrl.png

A bit late to the party, but here's a concept art for Chatom the ghost cat (cat ghost?) made by spiralhalo

It's basically a hi-res version of the sprite, as a reference for the dialogue avatar that i'm working on

#8 Navyman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4045

0Likes

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

The twist mechanic is awesome.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

34410.png

#9 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

The twist mechanic is awesome.

thanks ^_^

finished another avatar. It took me 1 week to do this. crazy.gif

odC1kFY.png

Anyway, Chatom is a spirit cat that owns a treehouse called Death's Abode. It's a basecamp for adventurer who wants to explore the Weeping Tower nearby. He's also an acquaintance of the Devil.

#10 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

1Likes

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hi guys, i bring you some new updates!

spiralhalo had been reworking the tiles (again)

BvsYolfCUAAaoJH.png
a preview for ice-room (he said that so far, this is his best pixel work)

he finished the dialog box too

G0e74Od.png

oh, it feels so good to finally see my artwork in the game (even though it's just a mockup). I should do something like this more often  addicted.gif

and guess
DPywOgw.png

who's coming
MSGmuUg.png

#11 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

0Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

finally all three of them are done. I still have to make their expression tho.

9hbU9rI.png

There's no one who know his name, but people simply refer to him as "The Devil". Unlike other demons, he is a fair businessman and very rational, so don't afraid to sell your soul to him.

Edited by blue_mc, 01 September 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#12 blue_mc   Members   -  Reputation: 165

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

this is our recent status update. we're working on the mission board along with the mission system, which is the second last important piece for the game (the other one being the cutscenes)

on another news, we had a composer joined us to work with the game music toast.gif we're currently waiting to hear back from him

here is a mockup sketch for the mission board (pardon the intentional misspelling smiley.gif

missionBoard2_zps42c35dc2.png

and an older sketch (rejected)

missionBoard1_zpsdf6cac83.png

PARTNERS