Is there an online community dedicated to beta-testing in-development games?

Started by
4 comments, last by tom_mai78101 9 years, 10 months ago

"There exists a subreddit for everything." ~Reddit

--------------

Is there a website dedicated to beta-testing games that are being developed? This community is able to provide the latest feedback on the games that are being beta-tested, is able to point out hidden bugs, and other things.

Just curious.

Note: If there doesn't exist such websites, one can host a community, and market themselves as a reliable Beta-testing community. If it gets big enough, it's possible it could become something to games similar to Rotten Tomatoes to movies.

Advertisement

Don't forget, beta testers like to get paid too...

That said, some devs seem to get a lot of mileage out of sites like ModDB.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

What are you looking for?

If you are looking for load testing and vague general comments like "awsme" and "kill urself", then public beta tests are the way to go.

If you are looking for quality bug reports with specific repeatable steps, then you will need to pay.

If you are looking for load testing and vague general comments like "awsme" and "kill urself", then public beta tests are the way to go.

That made me laugh way more than it should have.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

Yes, if you want useful feed back that you don't have to work for by sifting through endless streams of useless repetitive junk, then you want to find the money to contract it out to dedicated professional testers. Also I strongly suggest you pay the extra money for testers based in a country that natively speaks a language you can easily understand.

My current day job is as an end-use tester for a third party testing house. You sign a contract with the company, send us your current build, we break everything and tell you how bad you are at your job and how many stupid numbskulled mistakes, typos, plot holes, poor controls, broken textures, and ways your application crashes or does other weird and funky things. And we don't get bored and wander off because you have barely anything finished. (We might sigh heavily and go for lunch early if things are really bad... But we do come back and resume testing.)

A few months ago I had the 'pleasure' of working on a project that had hired us and a company based in China (Who didn't put a strong emphasis on hiring people based on English language skills), and got to 'enjoy' coming in every morning to wade through tickets they logged. They produced nearly ten times as many tickets as we did. They duped the tickets we logged the day before. They duped each other's tickets, and a few testers seemed to keep duping their own tickets they logged in a single night. And we would spend our mornings here trying to sort out what was actually going on in most of the tickets logged from the over seas company... Luckily I was shifted away from that project, but last I heard the client dropped their overseas contract for the dozen or so testers there and hired an extra tester from us.

If you want feedback and bugs logged then you want Testers, and NOT players.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Ah, I see. I rest my case.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement