• Create Account

Help in 3D game programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 TTHCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hello is there any tutourials out there to teach people about making a 3d walking game (Terrains , Person , Camera with part of right hand seen) and making maps, and objects, and entities. I know C++ and OpenGl, but I just cannot make the game.

Help please!

Thanks in advance! 

Sponsor:

#2 Eck   Members   -  Reputation: 2581

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

Yes...

Edit: I was just going to leave it at that, but I'll be less snotty and do a google search for you:

C++ opengl fps tutorial

That came up with a big wad of youtube tutorial videos, here's the first one: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6dWIr5804

fps stands for First Person Shooter (which is what you were describing).

- Eck

Edited by Eck, 17 June 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#3 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4179

6Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

If you know C++ and OpenGL already, but you can't seem to figure out how to make this game, it may be because you're starting off too big (a common mistake everyone makes when learning to make computer games).

How many games have you made?  If you're just starting out, an FPS is not the first step, and you should read this:  http://web.archive.org/web/20020219143152/http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/path_to_dev.html

If you have made some games already then you should be more specific with the question.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#4 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1475

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

To expand on what Glass_Knife said, you may want to first attempt to create a simple raycasting game before moving on to a more complex project. [LINK]

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#5 GameCreator   Members   -  Reputation: 753

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

If you're not opposed to using 3D libraries/engines then your life can be much simpler.

#6 TTHCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

I know start small, so I am asking how to make a 3d walking game with the right hand being seen by the camera view (like minecraft), not fps.

Sorry if it is not clear.

#7 SeanMiddleditch   Members   -  Reputation: 5337

2Likes

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

I know start small, so I am asking how to make a 3d walking game with the right hand being seen by the camera view (like minecraft), not fps.

That's a relatively large definition of small.

If you know OpenGL, can you create a first-person camera that flies around a world with some cubes or a terrain map?

Can you draw an arbitrary static mesh? Can you animate a mesh?

Something as "simple" as a game where you walk around terrain and see a first-person view of a 3D arm is more complicated than you might think. Break it into pieces and learn how to do each piece individually, then worry about combining them into a simple game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS