• Create Account

Please help. I suck at coding...

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Uzzu12   Members   -  Reputation: 104

-1Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

Please help. I have had this amazing idea for an 8-bit, side scrolling, survival game, but i have know idea what to do and all the tutorials confuse me...

I basically know how to do the "Hello, World" beginner program and that is it.

<<PLEASE HELP>>

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 11881

9Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:07 AM

Why is there a "C++" tag on this thread? Is that what you are trying to learn? What tutorials have you tried to follow, and what difficulties are you having with them?

Perhaps you should consider a different hobby? If you want to stick to programming, you are going to have to learn to communicate better.

#3 Uzzu12   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

Sorry Alvaro.

Yep, C++ is what I am trying to learn, I suck at it, and I SHALL learn and be a pro at it. I have many other hobbies, but I suck the most at this one.

I have just tried to do the basics, and I am okay at javascript.

#4 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7651

6Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

A good place to start is the For Beginners FAQ.

#5 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 11881

1Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

You will get much better help if you post a specific program you are having trouble with. Explain what you want the program to do, post your code and explain what happens when you try to compile it and run it. Without that kind of concrete information, we can't do better than any of the myriad of tutorials available on line.

#6 Uzzu12   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

A good place to start is the For Beginners FAQ.

This may help! Thanks!

#7 Uzzu12   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

It recommends C#. Should I try it out or no?

#8 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1844

2Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

C#, Java and Python are good languages to start with. Avoid C++.

#9 Uzzu12   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

C#, Java and Python are good languages to start with. Avoid C++.

I am intermediate coder with java script, i had made some personal mod scripts for the android version of Minecraft. I will look into C#, though.

#10 Samith   Members   -  Reputation: 1917

4Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Personally I learned C and C++ first, and while I think my strong background in those lower level languages helped me learn higher level languages later, the learning curve was QUITE steep.

You're a beginner, so it's going to be a long time before you're really doing anything interesting, regardless of what language you choose to learn first. I think if you go with C# you might be able to get some results and program more rewarding things a little sooner than if you start with C or C++.

#11 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3333

5Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Perhaps you should consider a different hobby? If you want to stick to programming, you are going to have to learn to communicate better.

This.  Programming is essentially you communicating your ideas with the computer.  If you are unable to clearly communicate your thoughts with fellow humans, an unthinking machine has no chance. 

#12 Andy Gainey   Members   -  Reputation: 1806

1Likes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

If your real objective is to realize a game concept, and that concept does not require cutting edge technology, then I'd recommend not getting too focused on learning a generic programming language like C++ or C#.  The learning curve can be steep, and the time between now and having your game complete is likely to be incredibly long, especially if you're already experiencing learning pains.

Learn to use an existing game engine instead, and learn whatever programming language it happens to use.  GameMaker Studio, for example, has its own language which isn't directly usable anywhere else.  But if your primary objective is not to build a career as a programmer, does that really matter?  (Besides, programming concepts tend to translate well between programming languages.  Learning additional languages becomes progressively easier the more languages you learn, so it hardly matters which language is your first.)

"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke

#13 Avalander   Members   -  Reputation: 553

3Likes

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Please help. I have had this amazing idea for an 8-bit, side scrolling, survival game, but i have know idea what to do and all the tutorials confuse me...

I basically know how to do the "Hello, World" beginner program and that is it.

<<PLEASE HELP>>

Sorry Alvaro.

Yep, C++ is what I am trying to learn, I suck at it, and I SHALL learn and be a pro at it. I have many other hobbies, but I suck the most at this one.

I have just tried to do the basics, and I am okay at javascript.

I'm a bit confused here. Do you want to make a game or to learn C++? Because you're hardly gonna make your dream game while learning a language from the basis.

If the former, as you have stated that you have some skill with javascript, why don't you make your game with javascript? An 8-bit side scrolling game doesn't sound so resource intensive that needs to be coded in C++ to achieve good performance anyways, and it's easier to distribute it to your friends so they can give you feedback.

If the later, I think you should put your game aside for a while and focus on learning the language. There are lots of books for beginners, and I'm sure you can find a fair amount of decent tutorials for beginners in C++ online (just guessing, but if the tutorials confuse you, perhaps you've been looking tutorials too advanced for your current level?).

Edited by Avalander, 20 June 2014 - 05:30 AM.

PARTNERS