• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

My Kingdom for a Link to a Past Post

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17649

0Likes

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Search-after-search I can’t find a past post I really need right now.

A long time ago someone did some tests on the best ways to update vertex buffers and he shared his results, but when I try the few key words I remember (which I won’t list here in order not to pass on a possibly mistaken key word to others) I just get results of people asking questions.  I even searched replies for a link to the post for which I am searching and nothing.

So the guy benchmarked at least 3 ways to update vertex buffers.

He did client arrays and VBO’s with DYNAMIC_DRAW and different updating strategies.

One of the strategies was orphaning.

It was about 2 years ago.

My kingdom for anyone who can find that post.  It may have been OpenGL ES 2.0.

L. Spiro

Sponsor:

#2 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 23787

3Likes

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

I find it easier to use Google to search GameDev, and limit the google search to only the GameDev.net domain. Further, I limit searches by the rough area of time (in this case, 2010 to, and including, 2012). Since I'm hoping you happened to post in the thread, I also use your username as a search keyword.

I probably don't need to tell you how to use Google's search engine rolleyes.gif, but just on the off-chance, are any of these results what you are looking for?

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 37293

2Likes

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

I don't have the link you're looking for, but this one might help too: http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~pcozzi/OpenGLInsights/OpenGLInsights-AsynchronousBufferTransfers.pdf

#4 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17649

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Finally I can reply.

I was using Google search to try to find it. But I don’t believe I posted in the topic.

That’s a handy link, Hodgman.

L. Spiro

#5 Sponji   Members   -  Reputation: 1561

1Likes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Maybe this one, http://www.gamedev.net/topic/630721-mind-if-we-discuss-vbo-streaming/

Derp

#6 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17649

1Likes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

I am not sure if that is it (I saw it several times in my own searches but I distinctly remember my target being an information post rather than a question so I didn’t read it fully) but it is close enough (now that having it brought to my attention has made me give it a full read).

As promised, my kingdom.
You are now $378,012.37 in debt, 3 mortgages behind, your car is about to be repossessed, and you are single.  But at least you have 2 cats!  But be careful of Maru; you are his enemy every second you are not feeding him.  Oh and Pen-Pen likes to steal your breath at night while scratching your eyelids.
Thank you!

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 26 June 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#7 dmatter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3456

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Was it definitely a post on this site?

For example, the last post in this GDNet thread links to a thread on another site with similar-sounding stats.

Edited by dmatter, 25 June 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#8 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17649

2Likes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Was it definitely a post on this site?

There is only…

…GameDev.net.

L. Spiro

#9 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9284

1Likes

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

Thanks, I needed a reminder of what a catastrophe it is to stream data in GL APIs. rolleyes.gif

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS