• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Best Tool to Develop a 3D Graphics, Browser-Based Game / Online Store

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 himejima   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a UDK developer and I really love Unreal technology.
Recently, however, I was asked to develop a browser-based, 3D graphics application. Being browser-based means that I probably can't make it with UDK. So, I'd like to know which alternatives are available.

Basically, said application would consist on 3D replicas of buildings, which the user would then be able to walk around/visit (almost like a FPS game).

On top of that, the user should be able to purchase/order goods from within this "game"/simulation. I'm talking about real life goods, not in-game goods (basically, there would be an online store inside this small 3D world - think Amazon, but way smaller).

Mind you, this would be "singleplayer" - it isn't supposed to have multiplayer interaction.

What I'd like to know is, what are the best tools/software for this kind of project? Which game engine would be the most adequate and stable for this? Maybe Unity? Or even a reliable webgl game engine (if there is one)?

Also, I've never developed an online store... do you know any good resources/tutorials? What kind of available tools are there to "process" the money/cash flow? It kinda confuses me, I mean, working with credit cards and stuff like that... I heard PayPal's API is easy to use, is it? How about transactions made with smartphones, what tools are there for that?

Best Regards,
Himejima

Sponsor:

#2 HappyCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 2818

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Apparently Unreal can run 3D html5 apps. The demos recommend firefox, so I don't know well it works on other browsers.

link

#3 bwhiting   Members   -  Reputation: 785

0Likes

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

If the target is desktop, I would go with flash, it is more ubiquitous then unity and far more stable than webgl.
If you need it to run on mobiles too then webgl is probably the way to go.

As far as the payment side of things go does the application link up with a site? Could you not load a purchase page from the site on top of your app (it would make things a whole lot easier). If they already have something in place for selling things it would be much better to hook into that rather than make your own solution.

If that is not a possibility though paypal is good at making things easy for you and I think amazon also have payment services too that you could look into.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS