How many active party members?

Started by
0 comments, last by sunandshadow 9 years, 10 months ago

Traditional role-playing games limit the active party to four characters. Do you like this system, or do you want more flexibility with your team? Also, do you prefer active or passive control over your party members? Active would be when you control everyone in a turn-based game, whereas passive would be when you select a plan of action (Attack, Defend, etc.) and the AI acts on it. Please let me know in the poll or in the comments. I would greatly appreciate it!

Advertisement

Hrrm, it really depends what kind of game it is. I mean, I love games where you have only a single controllable character and the combat is real-time, and I love games where you control a small army of units in turn-based tactical combat, but if there isn't a tactical battlefield I would limit the number of characters to three. I mostly dislike AI-controlled allies or pets, unless they are disposable and half the challenge is supposed to be placing them where they will do something useful instead of turn on you, and again that's within a tactical system. I dislike MMOs where you have an avatar unit followed around by three auto-attacking pets; MMOs where it's one avatar and one partner-pet are playable but tend to be rather rigid and limited in terms of how you can play them.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement