Some maybe rememeber my older posts about space empire & emperor's simulator. I gathered all these, simplified, removed the boring parts and that's what I came up with Looking for feedback and the usual stuff.
Genre: turn based strategy, singleplayer (only)
Theme: space empire builder
Mechanic: asymmetric gameplay (like in tower defence games), the player controls the empire and the AI controls invaders & problems (so it's not traditional 4x game, but it takes a lot of concepts from these too)
My goal is to make that game rather fast (months, not years), also I want it to feel cozy and not bloated to the player. Like some mini empire builder you play after you finished these long, bloated, full blown 4x games.
Overview & map
You start in the very center of the galaxy (ALWAYS) and you are the meaniest, baddest, the most powerful & advanced civilization around. At the very beginning of the game you claim the title of the Emperor of the Known Universe (althrough the known universe is rather small ) and go on a quest to unify the galaxy under your rule (not that difficult) and defend if from various threats (much more challenging).
The galaxy is made of a few dozens of planets (not that many) connected by routes (so traditional here). You start in the exact center, there are plenty of uninhabited worlds and worlds with neutral races/nations (they can join your empire willingly or by conquest). There are also few special planets (parasites/symbiots, pirates), usually at the outskirts of the galaxy. Also there are several entry points (at the very edges of the galaxy) via which "aliens from another dimension/galaxy" can (and will) enter.
Planets can have special/rare resources, alien artifacts (ruins), special conditions, can also be terraformed and colonized.
* neutral planets - passive races that only defend their own planet, they will never form any empire or go on a conquest, their destiny it to eventually join your empire (willingly or not), they will improve their planets a bit and build local fleets & defences, but overall they just exist
* pirates - they build bases on various planets, demand tribute from neutral planets and overall disrupts the trade; they excell at hit & run tactic so, while not a match to your imperial fleet (if you built it properly) they are not trivial to eradicate; they can also respawn on some distant uninhabited planed when eradicated
* symbiots/parasites - a special planet somewhere at the outskirs it houses a rase of toxic, hostile, uninteligent race. Once every 100 turns they go on a rampage and infestate the planets pone by one (then they go back to their home planet and hibernate till the next cycle), their home planet is extremelly hard to conquer
* aliens from another galaxy - they enter via portals/entry points at the outskirts, their goal is annihilation not conquest, they go around destroying everything (when they appear the neutral planets suddenly are much more eager to join your empire for some reason ). You can't attack them at the beggining since they habve no home playet in your galaxy, but later you will have an option to send a fleet via the portal and get rid of them (no new map, just a hidden battle/event/simulation)
* plague - not enemy per se (your fleet can't stop it), but hehaves similarly. Plague starts on one planet and spreads around, then dies out causing heavy casualities among population if not quatantined properly.
I want to avoid all building queues, clicking on every planet each turn and so on. So the model will be like this:
- Each planet produces "infrastructure points" that are added to the global imperial pool (probably you will be accumulate the indefinitely) - You can build any building anywhere instantly by spending these points, but no more that one building per planet per turn (you can make one action per planet each turn, so you either terraform, construct, give an edict). - These infrastructure/construction points are used for buildings only, ships use different points made by shipyards
- Planets also automaticaly increase their infrastructure over time (local AI upgrades it based on racial traits/preferences), unless you tax the planet too much, so even when neglected each planet will improve on its own over time.
EDIT: simplified, you only select the industry type and then it's all automatic, except for special military instalations/bases
Used to make neutrals join the empire. Usually they will have some demands before joining (like what their status within empire will be, what level of taxation, what military (conscription) obligations, etc). Sometimes (especially primitive races) will even try to bribe you if you let them join the empire.
It will be probably done by sending some "diplomats" units to the planet.
Yes, there will be research in the game
Not sure yet how it will work. Most likely ships will be built either on the capital planet or on one of military bases planets (so on like 1-5 planets max, not everywhere).
Edited by Acharis, 05 September 2014 - 09:20 AM.