• Create Account

Easing equations

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 belfegor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2575

0Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

i recently have stumbled upon this site and want to try some of them but i dont understand one of the parameters i need to pass.

Example function:

Math.linearTween = function (t, b, c, d) {
	return c*t/d + b;
};

t: current time,

b: start value

c: change in value

d: duration

I understand everything except c.

Sponsor:

#2 haegarr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4212

2Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

In all equations t is a local non-normalized time, so running from 0 to d as its full valid range. It is "local" because it starts from 0 (opposed to the global time T which tells you that the ease function started at T =  t0, so that t := T - t0). Each ease function on that site then normalizes t by division t / d, so this runs from 0 to 1. With this in mind, looking at the "simple linear tweening" function, you'll see the formula of a straight line with offset b and increase c. Without c (or c==1) the function would return values from b to b+1, but with c the change over t is "amplified" by c, and the result is from b to b+c.  For the other functions the use of c is the same: It is always used as an amplification of the result's change with t / d.

Edited by haegarr, 29 June 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#3 belfegor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2575

0Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

Just to make sure i got it right.

// if i have some variable speed
current_speed = 1.0f;

//and i want it to be 3x larger (over time)
desired_speed = 3.0f;
change = desired_speed - current_speed;

global_time += delta_time;
desired_duration = 1.0f; // one second
duration = global_time + desired_duration;

if(is_time_to_speed_up)
    current_speed = function( global_time, currentSpeed, change, duration )

#4 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13037

2Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

No, that doesn't seem right.

current_speed = Math.linearTween(global_time - time_when_speed_up_started, initial_speed, change, desired_duration);

EDIT: The function could have had much more informative parameter names, like this:
Math.linearTween = function (time_since_transition_started, initial_value, value_change, transition_duration) {
	return initial_value + value_change * (time_since_transition_started / transition_duration);
};
Since you seem to think that the final value at the end of the transition is a more natural quantity to think about than the change (and I agree), it could be
Math.linearTween = function (time_since_transition_started, initial_value, final_value, transition_duration) {
	return initial_value + (final_value - initial_value) * (time_since_transition_started / transition_duration);
};

Edited by Álvaro, 29 June 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#5 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13037

2Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

Here's another version that you might find easier to work with:

Math.change_linearly_toward_target_value = function(current_value, target_value, time_to_target, time_step) {
	var fraction_of_the_way_to_go = min(1.0, time_step / time_to_target);
	return current_value + fraction_of_the_way_to_go * (target_value - current_value);
}

#6 JulianLoehr   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

c is the distance the ball has to travel from start to its end.

c/d is then the velocity it's moving with. This multiplied by the current time gives you the traveled distance.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS