• Create Account

Game engine for beginners, details here...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gamezdude   Members   -  Reputation: 66

-1Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

Ive been thinking of leaving Engine001 and im looking for another engine to replace it.

It needs:
To support object orientated programming or Visual Basic
Be free*
Unlimited rooms, Items, sprites etc*

*In GameMaker from YoYo games you must pay for the full package, if you dont you get a demo version where creativity is limited (limited rooms, sprites etc) both are unacceptable. I just want to further develop my game without spending a penny, taking as long as i want and able to have as many rooms, sprites etc as i want. Just like Unity (Unity packages are more agreeable than GameMaker in my opinion)

GameMaker, XNA & Unity is not accepted or under consideration

So give me a few engines that suit my requirements... 

Oh yes, i forgot, the game im trying to create is 2D just like Pokemon (Before it came into 3D)

Sponsor:

#2 ProtectedMode   Members   -  Reputation: 1286

2Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

GameMaker Standard is now free, so you have unlimited resources for free.

Edited by ProtectedMode, 29 June 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#3 EddieV223   Members   -  Reputation: 1407

5Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Obviously unity is your best choice, but something you didn't mention is this,

Game Studio A8 http://www.3dgamestudio.com/

PS go with unity.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.1 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.1 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

#4 moneal2001   Members   -  Reputation: 618

1Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Unity is not accepted or under consideration

why not go with unity.  its supports oop and has a free version(which doesn't have limits on sprites or scenes).  unless you just don't like unity it seems like the best option for what you are looking for.

#5 Gamezdude   Members   -  Reputation: 66

-6Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Unity is not accepted because it dosnt support VB as a language, last i checked it only accepts, C#, UnityScript (Javascript) & Boo

I have been told that the following languages are not a good starting point, hence why I only want VB

#6 Dezachu   Members   -  Reputation: 399

11Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

C# is actually recommended as one of the best starting languages for any aspiring programmer. It's also very easy to use in my opinion - I've been a C++ programmer since I started programming 3 years ago, but during my time working with Unity, I've happily swapped between Javascript and C#.

Don't be put off using a fantastic tool like Unity because it doesn't use your preferred language. I certainly didn't follow that mindset when it came to choosing to use it! 

Studying BSc Computer Games Programming @ De Montfort University, Leicester.

Completed a placement as a Junior Programmer at Exient Ltd in Oxford/Valletta, Malta

#7 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14423

16Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

I have been told that the following[sic] languages are not a good starting point

I’ve been told it takes 7 years to digest chewing gum should I swallow it.
People tell you inaccurate or plainly false things all the time. Do you just eat it all without questioning its validity?
If so, I have a nice plot of land to sell you.

Unity 3D is the correct answer, and is quite suited to beginning game programming.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#8 DvDmanDT   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1003

8Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'm more curious about the fact that whoever told you C# is a bad language somehow gave you the impression that VB would be any better. I personally consider C# to be one of the absolutely best languages overall, including for beginners. I haven't heard anyone even mentioning VB for years, it's pretty much dying. I'm honestly not sure I've ever met anyone who would argue that VB is a good language for anything, ever. :s

#9 Gamezdude   Members   -  Reputation: 66

-2Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

Ok fine, lets say C# is the best overall in performance & learning.

I have tried making my game in Unity and it has NOT gone well, i got VERY frustrated over it due to lack of community support.

Many have stated that I start in baby steps, so I did, i done one of the Unity tutorial series (Stealth) and of all the tutorials i have found, none have explained a piece of code in detail. This is what i have EXPERIENCED.

#10 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14423

19Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Welcome to The World of Game Development.
You must be this tall to enter.

If you had such a difficult time with Unity, why do you think anything else will be easier?

If you can’t handle the most basic of basics, then you obviously have some ground work to lay first by learning actual programming, at least better than your current level.
I don’t know what tutorials you followed but if the code really needed that much explanation then you are lacking in some very fundamental base skills.

Going through Unity is one way to get some of those skills. Starting a “Hello World” in C++ is another way.
But since you already lack enough patience to learn programming with something that holds your hand as much as Unity does then you might want to consider that you simply don’t have enough patience to be making games period.
Lots of people play games, get their own ideas, and then think making their own games will be as fun and easy as playing them.
It’s actually more fun, but it’s not as easy. They don’t realize it is actual work, long hours and dedicated study, and many many years of our lives consumed.

There are no shortcuts. Stop blaming everything else for your own impatience, man up, and get it done.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#11 moneal2001   Members   -  Reputation: 618

7Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Ok fine, lets say C# is the best overall in performance & learning.

I have tried making my game in Unity and it has NOT gone well, i got VERY frustrated over it due to lack of community support.

Many have stated that I start in baby steps, so I did, i done one of the Unity tutorial series (Stealth) and of all the tutorials i have found, none have explained a piece of code in detail. This is what i have EXPERIENCED.

Unity has some of the best community support of any of the engines or frameworks that I have used.  It has tons of tutorials and videos on youtube and around the web.  I don't know if you didn't search hard enough or what but there is a ton of info and learning material on unity out there.

#12 Dezachu   Members   -  Reputation: 399

9Likes

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:04 AM

Unity tutorials aren't there to teach you how to code buddy - there's a million and one other tutorials that teach you how to code as well as a bottomless pit of books. 

Unity is an engine. It is NOT a language or an IDE, therefore the tutorials will rarely teach you how to code. If you want to learn the language(s), look elsewhere. Some tutorials may briefly mention what a piece of code does and why the tutor wrote it that way, but don't expect it as the norm.

Unity is also one of the best supported engines going. The community support is fantastic, tutorials are in abundance and there're many forums you can ask for help on. 

I'd only end up repeating what others have said, so to summarise - don't blame the engine for your own pitfalls as a programmer. 

Studying BSc Computer Games Programming @ De Montfort University, Leicester.

Completed a placement as a Junior Programmer at Exient Ltd in Oxford/Valletta, Malta

#13 LordRhys   Members   -  Reputation: 367

6Likes

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I started programming in VB all the way back with VB3, I thought C# was too difficult also, but what I learned was you just need to get the Syntax difference mastered and it's a much more robust language to work with. As far as Unity goes, I don't know where your looking but I have found almost 40GB worth of Video Tutorials, 20GB of assets sources, and a ton of other helpful tidbits; along with 4 different books which start you at the beginning. To me the most difficult part of Unity is getting a hang of its GUI. go to www.BergZergArcade.com and you can download an entire Hack-N-Slash RPG Game Tutorial, last I checked it like 280 videos and stats you from scratch.

#14 erdo   Members   -  Reputation: 168

10Likes

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Thing is, what other users are saying to you is right, is better to use other language than VB for games; but certainly nobody is responding what you are asking.

So here are some realistic options to develop your game:

1. So, you want to make a game. Well, you don't have to reinvent the wheel... use a game engine with IDE like GameDevelop (compilgames.net) it's free (and became open source just today so it will be free forever), intuitive, and you don't need to write a single line of code to make a game like a 2D pokemon RPG with this software.
  2. Ok, so you want to code your game. Use Lua+Löve. Lua is a general purpose programming language that's popular around the indie gaming community, if you can understand and write VB code you can understand and write Lua code after reading a short tutorial in 20 minutes. Lua is extremely easy to learn and Löve (love2d.org) is an extremely easy to use 2D game framework to write games in Lua (btw, Lua+Löve = free).
  3. Ok, so you want to stay with VB. Well, first you have to choose if you want to use vbclassic or one of its forks, or the latest vb.net iteration. Next step, go to this page: vbgamer.com and take a month reading tutorials before writing a single post. From here you have more options: you can choose a 2D game engine (like Allegro [allegro.cc], for example... it's intended for C++ but you can use it with .NET languages) to work with VB or you can do what I did more than ten years ago: learn to bypass bitblt processing in VB moving blocks of memory with address pointers synchronized to the internal CPU tick counter (in fact, that's useless to make a game in a short amount of time but you can get a lot of learning on how to make games in a language like VB, specially for when you start to wonder why the FPS ratio are a mess).

And now, some 2D oriented FREE game engines that work with VB:

There are lots more, specially if you search for open source projects in sourceforge.com or github.com...

... and nope, I just don't want to list the features of each game engine, sorry and good luck wink.png

Edited by erdo, 01 July 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#15 can2x   Members   -  Reputation: 53

0Likes

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

Have you try Gamesalad? It's free and unlimited resource! Eh, almost forget. What platform are you making? Is it mobile or PC? Because Gamesalad Free only support iOS (and the pro only support Mac ;( )

Sorry, if I do something wrong (in english, rude maybe, or... or... whatever!) or mistaken something! I just, uh you know, learning!

#16 GoCatGo   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1637

0Likes

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

If so, I have a nice plot of land to sell you.

Everything I tried to convey in a few paragraphs you managed in one line.  Hats off to you, L. Spiro!  You gave me a laugh and allowed me to delete my rant and post a kudos to you instead!

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion.  Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

#17 Code Fox   Members   -  Reputation: 1810

0Likes

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Unity is not accepted because it dosnt support VB as a language, last i checked it only accepts, C#, UnityScript (Javascript) & Boo

I have been told that the following languages are not a good starting point, hence why I only want VB

If you really like the language structure of BASIC ... Alice is all I can think of.

Unfortunately you will have expand your programming knowledge beyond BASIC if you wish to use more than a very limited range of tools.

Python, C#, and JavaScript are not hard to learn, especially if you already know BASIC .

Does Anyone Actually Read This ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS