• Create Account

Choosing between Three.js/Babylon.js vs Voxel.js for a voxel game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 sanmk4890   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'm planning on making a Minecraft-like game for browsers. Not a game per se, I basically want to have an easy-to-use environment in my browser for creative object modelling, so that I can build anything in it..just like Minecraft's Creative mode of play. 

But I'm confused between using Three.js or Voxel.js for this project. 

Three.js/Babylon.js Pros:

1. Widely used free engines for 3d web games.

2. Good documentation and community support available (because it is widely used)

No cons

Voxel.js Pros:

1. it says it is specifically made for voxel games like Minecraft for browsers.

(this is the main reason what attracted me to this engine, but I wonder what it offers that Three.js can't)

Voxel.js Cons:

1. Not fully developed.

2. Not much in the form of community support or documentation.

3. There are reports of hard-to-use by developers

My questions:

1. Since I want to make a voxel game, will Three.js be an overkill, since it is a very generic 3d engine?

2. Will voxel.js actually help me in ways that Three.js simply cannot?

I think I can use Three.js to achieve my goal, since it's generic. But will I miss out on something if I choose not to use voxel.js ? 

I've not worked on voxel games, so I don't have a clear idea.

Thanks for your inputs!

Edited by sanmk4890, 01 July 2014 - 10:22 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 HappyCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 2561

0Likes

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

I would be more inclined to use voxel, just because has most of the feature I want implemented and lets me focus on the more interesting game ideas. It does seem limited though, so you probably wont end up with a very good looking game plus the collision detection seems buggy, so you might have to do a bit of work inside the engine to make it work for you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS