Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Urgent! Interview re-sheduling dilemma


Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

  • You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 dsm1891   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hello,

 

Hopefully you can give me some advice on what I should do, or just give me food for thought.

 

So recently (an hour ago), telling me I have been selected for an interview at [Big/well known game company], and I should select a day/time I am available. I was over the moon. However, when I looked at the dates, my face fell. The only dates that where available are the days I am either Traveling too and or at Develop in Brighton conference (biggest game dev conference in uk). D:

 

 

If I select the earliest interview I will miss my train to Develop, and thus I will have to pay up to £200 on a new train ticket, not to mention waiting the money I spent for that day at Develop (which is quite expensive). 

 

I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots (which I doubt, as they provided me with a list). I also really want the job, and don't want to come off as not giving a crap by trying to re-schedule my interview to earlier/later date than they provided.

 

 

Any advise?

  



Sponsor:

#2 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5435

Like
3Likes
Like

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Call them and reschedule? Say you are going to develop. They want to interview you so they will be flexible.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#3 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

Like
1Likes
Like

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Take the interview and a shot at getting the job. Conferences will keep on coming all the time.



#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10159

Like
7Likes
Like

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Tell them you're going to Develop and ask them if they can work around that.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 jHaskell   Members   -  Reputation: 1087

Like
2Likes
Like

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:26 PM


I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots

 

Where's the debate?  The realistic worst case is they say no, you have to pick one of the slots provided.  It's not like you're going to lose the opportunity entirely.

 

There are ventures that can indeed result in a loss, but this one looks like it can only result in no change, or a gain.



#6 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8159

Like
16Likes
Like

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Definitely call and ask about the possibility of rescheduling. Be sure to tell them you've already made plans to attend Develop during that time -- In fact, say 'the Develop Brigthon game dev conference" because you may well be speaking to a receptionist or personal assistant-type, and you want to make sure its not lost in translation that this is something you're doing to grow professionally, and not just turning them down for a day at the beach.

 

In actuality, it might even be that they're sending staff to the conference themselves to present or scout talent. It's not at all uncommon that they might conduct interviews with individuals at the conference. You might even ask if they plan to do this, and if you could get an interview slot there. Keep in mind though, that those kinds of interviews are brief and are more of a 'lets get this guy off the show floor and see if he's someone we want to interview seriously' kind of thing, and if they're already bringing you in for a deeper interview you may only stand to lose out by 'interviewing' with them at the show, so consider your options carefully if they give you the choice to reschedule or to interview at the show.

 

If they do have staff at the show, *and* you ran reschedule your on-premises interview for after the convention, do make it a point to meet and introduce yourself to them. Just politely approach them and say "Hi I'm so-and-so, I'm glad to see you here, I'm interviewing with your company next week." and see where the conversation takes you. It never hurts to make your face known, and being at the show will probably even earn you a brownie-point or two -- it certainly won't hurt your case as long as you don't overstay your welcome with them.

 

If they absolutely can't reschedule and don't have staff at the conference you can interview with, then you might have to miss the conference or eat the cost of an adjusted train ticket, but its highly likely they'll be accommodating and you can cross that bridge when you get there.

 

Don't sweat any of it though. I see no downsides here.



#7 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8159

Like
1Likes
Like

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

And good luck!



#8 dsm1891   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

Hi,

 

Thanks for the replies.

 

Just an update, I emailed them to see if a reschedule would be possible(I tried ringing, but no answer), and unfortunately it was not possible, and they said "We will put your application on hold and contact you should we reschedule any future interviews."

 

I half of me feels like saying " I have decided that I will miss a day at Develop and come to the Interview slot on [day/time] (the interview slot I previously selected), as I do not want to miss this opportunity." (maybe better words?)  and the other half feels like accepting the 'on hold' status as I do not want to make them think I am being arrogant (not the best word).

 

Thoughts?



#9 dsm1891   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

Got the previous interview back :)



#10 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8159

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

You'll have to weigh it for yourself which opportunity you will trade away for the other. That depends on your situation -- what important bits of Develop might you miss, How keen are you on this interview, Will the interview give you good value regardless of whether you get the position (it may well), is it all worth the cost of switching out your train ticket?

 

I don't think its cut and dried, but I'd think quickly and carefully about the pros and cons, then make your choice and don't look back. If it were me, I'd completely ignore whatever fun you hope to have at Develop, and only consider the opportunities you'd be missing (e.g. particular speakers or events) and then consider if they can be missed -- often times speakers will have made the same presentations available online, for example.



#11 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 10630

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Most companies will be fine with the fact you need to reschedule for a GOOD REASON.

What you've listed above sounds to me like a good reason, plus it's also part of your line of work (I'm assuming), so that's a plus.

Handle it like any other rescheduling you would, these are human beings.



#12 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7608

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yeah I'm actually surprised the company didn't work with you on this one; was the requested delay huge? In any case it sounds like you made your choice, so good luck.



#13 dsm1891   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yeah I'm actually surprised the company didn't work with you on this one; was the requested delay huge? In any case it sounds like you made your choice, so good luck.

No, I was flexible to any time they could suggest before or after interview, they said it was a tight recruitment deadline though.

 

---

 

Just an update, had the interview I *thought* it went well and went to (end of the)conference on that day. I also went to GI.biz summer party (was great) and I actually spoke to a guy that worked there. He wasn't in the same department but offered to put in a word for me with the people in the right department (although I couldn't remember my interviewers name *facepalm* ).  

 

Anyway it will be a week tomorrow and still not a word :( seemingly unlikely I got the job. Got to live in hope though I guess...

 

Thanks for the suggestions!



#14 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8159

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Regardless of whether you got the job, it sounds like you did everything right and made the best out of an imperfect situation. You had some valuable experiences and even if you end up not getting a callback, the industry is small and people absolutely will remember that you handled things gracefully. It sounds like it should all reflect well on you.

 

Continued good luck.



#15 theflamingskunk   Members   -  Reputation: 358

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

 

Yeah I'm actually surprised the company didn't work with you on this one; was the requested delay huge? In any case it sounds like you made your choice, so good luck.

No, I was flexible to any time they could suggest before or after interview, they said it was a tight recruitment deadline though.

 

---

 

Just an update, had the interview I *thought* it went well and went to (end of the)conference on that day. I also went to GI.biz summer party (was great) and I actually spoke to a guy that worked there. He wasn't in the same department but offered to put in a word for me with the people in the right department (although I couldn't remember my interviewers name *facepalm* ).  

 

Anyway it will be a week tomorrow and still not a word sad.png seemingly unlikely I got the job. Got to live in hope though I guess...

 

Thanks for the suggestions!

 

 

Not to give you a sense of false hope, but a lot of the time employers have to to go through a whole set of canidates, and often still need to figure out headcount and other things, all this can draw out along several weeks, so dont look too much into not hearing back if you did an interview within the first week.

 

At any rate, I would send a followup email and inquire about your status. (I would continue to follow up once a week until you get a definitive answer from them)

 

Good Luck!


Portfolio: http://jel-massih.com


#16 dsm1891   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

 

Not to give you a sense of false hope, but a lot of the time employers have to to go through a whole set of canidates, and often still need to figure out headcount and other things, all this can draw out along several weeks, so dont look too much into not hearing back if you did an interview within the first week.

 

At any rate, I would send a followup email and inquire about your status. (I would continue to follow up once a week until you get a definitive answer from them)

 

Good Luck!

 

 

 

Regardless of whether you got the job, it sounds like you did everything right and made the best out of an imperfect situation. You had some valuable experiences and even if you end up not getting a callback, the industry is small and people absolutely will remember that you handled things gracefully. It sounds like it should all reflect well on you.

 

Continued good luck.

 ty for the kind (and motivational) words :)



#17 GoCatGo   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1637

Like
0Likes
Like

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Was wondering if you've heard anything back about that interview?  Good news, I hope?


Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion.  Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.





Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.



PARTNERS