• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

opengl camera direction calculation for lookat

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 koholint   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

static float xrot{},yrot{};
int x{},y{};

SDL_GetRelativeMouseState(&x,&y);
xrot+=x/100.0f;
yrot+=y/100.0f;

if(xrot>360.0f)
	xrot-=360.0f;

if(yrot>360.0f)
	yrot-=360.0f;

if(xrot<-360.0f)
	xrot+=360.0f;

if(yrot<-360.0f)
	yrot+=360.0f;
std::stack<mat4> modelview;
modelview.push(mat4(1.0f));

glm::vec3 front=vec3{1.0f,0.0f,0.0f};
modelview.top()*=lookAt(vec3{0.0f,0.0f,0.0f},front,vec3{0.0f,1.0f,0.0f});
modelview.top()*=rotate(xrot,vec3{0.0f,1.0f,0.0f});
modelview.top()*=rotate(yrot,vec3{1.0f,0.0f,0.0f}); //if I comment this line then x rotation works.

//Upload projection matrix
program->projectionMatrix(projection);

for(auto entity: entities) {
	modelview.push(modelview.top());
	modelview.top()*=translate(entity.position);

//Upload modelview matrix
	program->modelviewMatrix(modelview.top());

for(auto m: models)
		if(m->getName()==entity.modelName)
			m->render(program->getId());

modelview.pop();
}

I have gone through several tutorials but none seem to show how to do the front direction calculation compatible with GLM. I have really tried to get the problem here... xrot and yrot are in 360 degrees space.

why does x rotation work when I comment the y rotation line? how do I calculate direction for use with lookat?

I know this might come off as a stupid thread for a first post from a user when I should probably read the tutorials again. But I just cannot seem to adapt it to my code.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by koholint, 03 July 2014 - 08:00 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 SetsudanHana   Members   -  Reputation: 119

1Likes

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

The way i'm doing lookat for my camera:

void Camera::update()
{
	double sinAlfa = glm::sin(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double sinBeta = glm::sin(m_beta * DAG2RAD);
	double cosAlfa = glm::cos(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double cosBeta = glm::cos(m_beta * DAG2RAD);

m_viewMatrix = glm::lookAt( m_position, glm::vec3(m_position.x + sinAlfa*cosBeta, m_position.y - sinBeta, m_position.z - cosAlfa*cosBeta), glm::vec3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));
}

just counting sin and cos function for each of angles of your camera, and with little math you can count point your camera is looking at. DAG2RAD is just pi/180 to convert my angle to radiants. I dont know if it solves your problem, but i hope it will help.

#3 koholint   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

The way i'm doing lookat for my camera:

void Camera::update()
{
	double sinAlfa = glm::sin(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double sinBeta = glm::sin(m_beta * DAG2RAD);
	double cosAlfa = glm::cos(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double cosBeta = glm::cos(m_beta * DAG2RAD);

m_viewMatrix = glm::lookAt( m_position, glm::vec3(m_position.x + sinAlfa*cosBeta, m_position.y - sinBeta, m_position.z - cosAlfa*cosBeta), glm::vec3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));
}

just counting sin and cos function for each of angles of your camera, and with little math you can count point your camera is looking at. DAG2RAD is just pi/180 to convert my angle to radiants. I dont know if it solves your problem, but i hope it will help.

Thank you!

There was also a bug in my second code snippet on line 14. I have edited it for people wanting to use the code. it used to read modelview.top()*=translate(modelview.top(),entity.position);

#4 Sponji   Members   -  Reputation: 1358

0Likes

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Also, since you're using glm, you could use glm::radians to convert degrees to radians.

Derp

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS