• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Anyone heard of "Cogl"? I have no idea but need help with it

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zesterer   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

I'm looking into game development with the Vala language. I've caught word of an apparently "brilliant" library developed by Gnome known as "Cogl" which interfaces with a 3D backend (usually OpenGL) to allow the programmer to make use of it's abilities in an OOP way.

https://developer.gnome.org/cogl/stable/

I'd like to know more, but the documentation is horribly uninviting.

Has anyone used this library before? What can I expect, or what are some first steps to make?

As I said, I have no idea how to use the thing, but I'd love to learn how.

Thanks,

Barry Smith

EDIT: Unless you didn't guess, I'm using Linux. But Vala does work on Windows too.

Edited by Zesterer, 06 July 2014 - 04:50 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 SeanMiddleditch   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 11027

0Likes

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

I've looked into it before but never used it. Licensing and a few questionable design decisions led me to skip it. It's not designed by game developers or for games. It'll limit your portability to important systems for games. I don't think it'll add anything of value to a game engine/renderer. </two-cents>

#3 FGFS   Members   -  Reputation: 225

0Likes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

Never heard of that licence but it seems you only need to mention the previous authors?

#4 Zesterer   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

So... Better to stick to SDL? Can I use SDL with GLU? I was planning on letting SDL deal with window management and input and so forth while GLU handles the graphical side of things. Is this possible / feasible / the best way of doing it?

Thanks,

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS