• Create Account

shading???

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Squirrel   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:52 AM

is there a way to have shading on shapes? Also, how do I make a light fog? Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 05 November 2001 - 06:08 AM

???

Sorry, I don''t understand your question... What do you mean by ''shading on shapes'', and what is a ''light fog'' ?

- AH

#3 Jesper T   Members   -  Reputation: 322

Posted 06 November 2001 - 08:37 AM

light fog == light glow/rays ...i think, dunno how to do it tho.

#4 no way   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 November 2001 - 05:40 AM

my guess: "shading on shapes" means shadows
"light fog" is most probably volumetric light

...for great justice !

#5 Squirrel   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 November 2001 - 02:56 PM

I ment shading as in this: let''s say I make any shape. A cube for example. On the sides that I''m seeing at a diffrent angle, it would be darker but the color would not have to be changed. So if it moves, the shading changes. I''m sure there must be a way. And as in fog, I ment something like the farder an object is, the less you can see it. Hope this clarifies things more. Thanks

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 08 November 2001 - 04:38 AM

OK, I got it I already thought that you were talking about some of those new and arcane GF3-only effects using tons of pixel-shaders...

What you mean by shading on shapes is simply called ''lighting'' in OpenGL Eg. you put a lightsource infront of a cube and the cube rotates, then the incident light will automatically calculated.

And about the fog thing: What you want is simple linear/exponential fog, a very basic OpenGL operation.

I suggest you take a look at nehe.gamedev.net, you will find very good OpenGL tutorials explaining all this from the beginning on in very understandable form (including the commonly used OpenGL and computer graphics terms).

- AH

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS