• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

undefined reference to DirectDrawCreate@12

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 toejam   Members   -  Reputation: 106

1Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

I encountered this issue today when compiling an older program under VC++ 2010.

An old thread on the subject mentioned that ddraw.lib might be missing. After installing the DXSDK_Feb10.exe package from Microsoft, which is the last version to include ddraw.lib, I had the lib on my system.

I executed the shell script for setting proper ENV variables for VC++ and the related script for the DX SDK, compiled my source and when it hit the linker, bam. Fail.

I had direct.h in my topmost include file and ddraw.lib in my Makefile. No dice. I tried adding dxguid.lib and moved ddraw.lib to the top of my LIBRARIES order. Still failed.

Turns out that on x86-64 systems, the shell script for setting the LIB path for the DX SDK defaults to using x86-64 libs. That old function didn't exist in the 64-bit library. I had to tell it to set my ENVs specifically for x86.

Once that was fixed, the linker worked. I didn't need to include dxguid.lib, extern statements or fancy pragma statements in my code, either. So for people running 64-bit systems, be aware of which set of libs you're linking to and save yourself a lot of grief.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS