• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Another word for "Spells" or "Blessings"

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 gorogorosama   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hello! Hopefully there are some talented wordsmiths lurking about.

In my game you play a deity ruling over a kingdom of mortals, and of course fighting off other deities and their own kingdoms. I'm trying to find another word for "Spells", referring to all your Godly powers like providing a bountiful harvest, boosting up your troops, etc.

"Spells" feels too wizardly. And Blessings would be great except there are also things you cast on enemies like Curses, (crumbling your enemies' walls or making them get lost in the desert for 40 turns) so ideally one word that could summarize both of those.

If that wasn't hard enough, it needs to fit on the HUD, so can't be any longer than Blessings.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! If I use your suggestion I'll tweet about your game! (to all 5 of my followers)

Edited by gorogorosama, 08 July 2014 - 08:36 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3917

1Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Chants?

#3 Flonk   Members   -  Reputation: 365

4Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

miracles, wonders, interventions

#4 KnolanCross   Members   -  Reputation: 1334

0Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Powers seems quite good to me.

Also, why don't you simply separate them on two categories, for instance blessings and plagues?

Edited by KnolanCross, 08 July 2014 - 10:33 AM.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

#5 ShiftyCake   Members   -  Reputation: 566

0Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Powers seems quite good to me.

Also, why don't you simply separate them on two categories, for instance blessings and plagues?

exactly what knolan said, put two sub categories. Your interaction with your own people as blessings and interaction with the enemy as curses. Then just make the main category encompass the two. For example, chants as lenny said or even prayers (prayers can encompass both bad and good, however they also imply you're worshipped which may or may not work in your favour).

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

I do take brief bouts of disappearance so don't worry if I either don't reply to you or miss certain things. I am quite a lazy fellow.

#6 facehead1992   Members   -  Reputation: 478

0Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

miracles, wonders

Either of these would definitely be a neutral term that you could use while having internal blessing/curse(or plague) terms.

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20304

3Likes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

I like the aforementioned 'miracles', 'interventions', and 'powers', as well as the blessings/curses subdivisions.

Additionally: 'Signs'

Also, 'judgements'. While we usually give that word a negative connotation, in the Bible 'judgement' is used as a word to either negatively or positively give someone what they deserve.

Thematically, it might work well. You could subbranch it to 'Rewards' and 'Punishments'.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#8 Wai   Members   -  Reputation: 1001

0Likes

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

Act of God

#9 gorogorosama   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

Thanks! We'll probably decide on it tomorrow.

Personally I'm liking miracles, powers, and wonders, 

We really need to stick to one button though (instead of separating Blessings and Curses). There simply aren't enough Curses to justify its own button on the HUD. That's valuable real-estate!

#10 LrdWes   Members   -  Reputation: 119

1Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Charms or Auras could also work.

#11 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4376

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

Hotpockets.

How about "techniques"? After all, isn't all magic summoned with some sort of chant, dance, or ritual?
c3RhdGljIGNoYXIgeW91cl9tb21bMVVMTCA8PCA2NF07CnNwcmludGYoeW91cl9tb20sICJpcyBmYXQiKTs=

#12 DocBrown   Members   -  Reputation: 273

0Likes

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

If the skill in question is being chanted, you could use the word incantation to describe them.

At any rate, why not just use abilities or skills to describe everything in mass. D&D did this and it worked just fine :)

#13 powerneg   Members   -  Reputation: 1463

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

curses !!

#14 Andy Gainey   Members   -  Reputation: 2044

2Likes

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'm starting the Coldfire triology, and she often uses the much less baggage-laden and mysterious term "Workings".  I bet a lot of the more creative and unique sci-fi/fantasy authors have used all sorts of terms over the years.

Did you end up going with a term, or is it still in the air?

"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke

#15 Got_Rhythm   Members   -  Reputation: 288

0Likes

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

I've always loved the word 'boon'. 

#16 Vakarian   Members   -  Reputation: 119

1Likes

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

I love Auras for the positive stuff and Plaques for negative. That sounds really cool. And I am backing up division team. You should have sub groups. You can use Plaques then biggrin.png

#17 wodinoneeye   Members   -  Reputation: 857

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

Metaphysicals ...

--------------------------------------------Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

#18 JohnnyCode   Members   -  Reputation: 261

0Likes

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Once you sacrifice- you loose it, without being assured of benefit?

(you sacrifice a dragon you won 2 castles with, to god Stratos- who is god of air and rewords you with nothing, instead 3 skeletons you will fight, but if you sacrifice the mighty dragon you are powerfull by, to Persephone, she sends you 5 dedicated angels). you would have to assure player will not know trivialy how to decide, and, restore his attempt if gone so wrong----- good playgame I think

So said, you can fire something like:

- Wills (of player)

- Exhoust (of player)

- Sacrifice (of player)

Later 2 similiar, but less definitive and risky

Edited by JohnnyCode, 04 October 2014 - 04:46 PM.

PARTNERS