• Create Account

Drawing levels and scanning them in 2D

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 rAm_y_   Members   -  Reputation: 362

0Likes

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

I read that they did this for Super Meat Boy, the artist drew the levels on paper and the programmer developed code that would read the scanned image and automatically create the level. This would need to be very custom obvioulsy. It sounds neat though, has anybody come across this technique before, maybe it's a common thing to do?

Any links for tools that allow you to do this, it would have to be custom built for you own tiles, sprites, animations, game mechanics etc but there may be some generic tool out there?

Sponsor:

#2 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4905

2Likes

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

If you want it to be fully automated, that might be quite difficult to implement, as it would require computer vision algorithms to figure out where each object is and to pull them out.  However, if you do a partially automated system it might be pretty easy to get going.  You just scan the drawing in high res, then do a guided parsing of the file (i.e. you lasso an object, then use the image processing techniques to select all the details).

#3 unbird   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4973

1Likes

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

Yup, sounds like some (elaborate) exercise in computer vision.

I just wanted to post since I recently saw something which looks closely to what you have in mind (couldn't find much about the tech behind it with a google sweep though): Pixel Press.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS