• Create Account

UI "Draggable Components" question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 10631

0Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi,

I'm currently making a UI system for my project, but it is the first time I work with more "advanced' UI concepts.

Currently, my system uses two different entities:

- draggable components (objects I can drag around which will return to their original position on release unless they are over an interactiveComponent).

- interactive components (essentially data holders which will detect that a draggable component has been released over them.

The interactive components work flawlessly (and I am proud/surprised!)

The draggable components on the other hand work almost perfectly except:

my onMouseMove() references the mouse coordinates in such a way that the movement works until the draggable component passes over an object that was drawn after on the stage. What this means is that I have say, a grid of 3X3 objects (draggable components) and I try to drag any of the leftmost ones to the right: I can't because they need to move over other objects.

I believe the problem with my implementation is that the onMouseMove will cease to trigger if there is an object between itself and the mouse (anything "above it"). I'm struggling finding a way to make the draggableObject (currently being dragged) always the topmost item to circumvent this issue.

I'm using DartLang API / StageXL framework which is roughly similar to AS3 except it outputs as HTML5.

Can anyone let me know where I've gone wrong?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Madhed   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3134

1Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Usually the mousemove event handler is attached to the body or document for dragging. That way it doesn't matter in which order the elements are as the event always bubbles up the DOM tree.

#3 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 10631

0Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Just realized the API has something known as 'startDrag' and 'stopDrag' which does all of the heavy lifting!

Thanks nonetheless!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS