• Create Account

OpenGL : GLEW or Qt or else ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 rXpSwiss   Members   -  Reputation: 212

0Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hello,

I bought the OpenGL red book and shaders orange book.But I want to know which GUI library I should use with OpenGL or what is best for all platforms. GLEW, Qt, something else ?

I can say that I know myself around C++ but I have the most experience with Java otherwise, so any suggestion or advice is welcome.

rXp

Sponsor:

#2 Brother Bob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8575

3Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

You probably want GLFW instead of GLEW, since GLEW is not a GUI library at all. However, GLFW is not much of a GUI library either, really, but rather a relatively simple rendering window and input wrapper but no widgets; only the basic rendering and input frameworks. On the other end, Qt is a complete GUI framework as well. It's not really fair to compare the two. For a lightweight wrapper, both GLFW and SDL are popular.

Another question though; if you are more experienced with Java, have you considered using Java? There are frameworks such as LWJGL that may be of interest to you. I haven't used Java at all though, so I cannot comment on it.

Edited by Brother Bob, 14 July 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#3 xenobrain   Members   -  Reputation: 678

1Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Qt is too heavy for OpenGL work unless you are building an editor or something otherwise very GUI focused.

As mentioned, GLEW is not a GUI library but as it's name suggests an extension loader.  You'll want to use it (or one of these http://www.opengl.org/wiki/OpenGL_Loading_Library) for any desktop platform (Win/Mac/Linux) work, so keep it around.

GLFW is still IMO a little too GLUT-like, that is to say convenient at first restricting in the long run.  That's fine for experimental or demo code though which seems to be what you're doing?

SDL & SFML are similar beasts with SFML having a nice C++ API, a little higher level abstraction with more features and a little less tested with fewer supported platforms vs SDL having a nice C API, being a little thinner abstraction, having a few less features, being more widely tested and supported on more platforms.

I generally recommend SDL as a platform abstraction layer (if not needing drawing functionality) due to better platform support, testing and it's corporate backing, but SFML has a particularly friendly, helpful and engaged community if that's a consideration.

Edited by xenobrain, 14 July 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#4 rXpSwiss   Members   -  Reputation: 212

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

So SDL would be better for learning opengl (small test code, etc) and working on windows and linux ? As long as SDL gives a way to create window, handle input mouse/keyboard/controller and enough features to begin opengl/GLSL (and switch later if not enough) I'm happy.

I thought about opengl on Java but it is really not what I want since C++ or C# are really more used in games than Java.

Oh and do any of you know anything that can help me code shaders ? For example Microsoft VS2013 can handle shaders but only for directx not GLSL is there any software or plugin with code highlighter for VS2013 or Netbeans or Eclipse or else ?

Edited by rXpSwiss, 15 July 2014 - 06:07 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS