• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

C++ in Unity

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twisttid   Members   -  Reputation: 92

0Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Note: Don't go out an find anything for me, that's my job...only if you know a good place for me to look, answer this question.

Can somebody please direct me in how to learn C++ Coding in Unity? I have had no experience in C++ Coding what so ever. I just want to know how I can use the language within the capabilities of the engine (if the makes sense).

Sponsor:

#2 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4052

0Likes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

You need to get the Pro version in order to do that (just as LoD and other stuff).
I think Unity3D also only allows native C++ via plugins.

I am not really sure about what I said, haven't used Unity after the "download and tinker with it" phase, Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by dejaime, 14 July 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#3 kalle_h   Members   -  Reputation: 1473

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

You can also pay big bucks and get source of Unity(runtime mostly c++,editor c#) and then you can do what ever you want.

#4 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4497

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

You need to get the Pro version in order to do that (just as LoD and other stuff).
I think Unity3D also only allows native C++ via plugins.

I am not really sure about what I said, haven't used Unity after the "download and tinker with it" phase, Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That's basically correct from my understanding of it. Though you could also probably use C++/CLI to write .Net DLLs for the game as well... but you should only try that if you're a masochist. smile.png

#5 Rld_   Members   -  Reputation: 1498

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

Dejaime is correct. You can only make plugins with C++ which you can access in your scripts that you need to write in any of the supported languages unity offers. Native plugins are not really used to do any gameplay related stuff as you can only do so much with them, they're mostly used to optimise certain processes.

You indeed also need the pro version to make these native plugins.

All in all, if you want to do this to program the gameplay, stick to the scripts. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS