• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Help with a really basic indie game!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheWonderSpud   Members   -  Reputation: 80

-6Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hey guys - just wanted to let you know, I'd appreciate it if nobody stole my game idea here, as that would be annoying and quite upsetting seeing as it came completely from my mind and not yours.

Anyways, I need help with a seriously basic game. There's no controlling a player with keys or anything. This will be my first proper indie game developed, I've made others but never published them but I'm planning to publish this one. I'm a teenager starting GCSE computing. We're being taught a coding language called Python. However, I'm planning to release this game, so I don't want people to have to download Python and Pygame just to play it.

The basic idea is you watch a Nyan Cat. For ever 1 minute you get 10 coins, for every click on the nyan cat you get 1 coin. You spend these coins on nyan cats, backgrounds and music. You can share the time you've been watching your cat on social networks. That's the really basic idea, but if it hits quite a success, as it is a popular meme, of course I'll work on improvements.

I'm really new to coding, any help is welcome and will be highly appreciated. If you did help, I'll be sure to add you to credits of game. Thanks! :)

Sponsor:

#2 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4119

13Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Don't worry about someone stealing your idea, each of us here have our own private lake full of ideas.

But what exactly do you need help with?

Take a look at this faq here.

#3 Lodeman   Members   -  Reputation: 875

4Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

This reminds me of that cookie clicking game.
A totally unserious game, but still cleary made with an odd form of love for the cookie.

You indeed need to specify what sort of help you're looking for though.
Either way good luck with that goofy cat!

#4 DiegoSLTS   Members   -  Reputation: 1869

15Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

I don't know if this can be considered as help, but you should know that Nyan Cat is copyrighted and the creators have won a lawsuit in the past against Warner Brothers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyan_Cat#Lawsuit

You should ask for permission (and maybe ask a lawyer) if you really plan to make it a big success and if you plan to win some money with it.

#5 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10148

0Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

any help is welcome and will be highly appreciated. If you did help, I'll be sure to add you to credits of game.

What kind of help are you looking for?
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#6 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1675

4Likes

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

Compile python into EXE

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#7 can2x   Members   -  Reputation: 53

1Likes

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:40 AM

What can I help? Or What kind of help that can I do (if I can)?

Sorry, if I do something wrong (in english, rude maybe, or... or... whatever!) or mistaken something! I just, uh you know, learning!

#8 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

9Likes

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

Thats a great idea, but im gonna steal it now. Thanks.

#9 aregee   Members   -  Reputation: 1026

6Likes

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Lol...  Nyan cat is so... 2011...  But seriously, a game that is not really a game?  Clicking the screen like that is no fun -- unless it is Flappy Bird.  Maybe you can make Flappy Bird with your Nyan cat idea.  That would be fun.  Please don't credit me.

#10 RaoulJWZ   Members   -  Reputation: 695

3Likes

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thats a great idea, but im gonna steal it now. Thanks.

HAHAHAHA I'm laughing my ass of now!

The best reaction i've seen in many years biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

#11 Gian-Reto   Members   -  Reputation: 1806

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

Don't even try to make money of a foreign IP... just as DiegoSLTS said, the Nyan Cat creater has a history of hunting down infringement, but even without that, I would stay away.

Some people get away with releasing free-to-play titles infringing popular IPs (there was a big Naruto web game in Germany some years ago, it was not commercial though)... but even that, depending of whose IP you infringe, is a bad idea and can cost you lot of money.

Just come up with an original idea, and you will be fine.

As to the game idea... cow clicker. So click, much fun. Wow!

But I am pretty sure you will find enough fans of such a "game" ;)

#12 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10148

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Has WonderSpud ever come back and clarified what kind of help is being requested?

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#13 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4119

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

Has WonderSpud ever come back and clarified what kind of help is being requested?

Looks like he was last active when he started this thread.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS