• Create Account

Implementing an in game debug console (WebGL/Threejs)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 lidders01   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

How do I implement a console popping up on the game canvas to take in commands and affect the game in real time?

Some searches I've done have not really helped me in the right direction. I understand it will be a gui element of some sort and parsing the input strings is relatively straightforward so no need to explain that bit. This may be a complex question so I appreciate all positive input.

Sponsor:

#2 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7116

2Likes

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

There's not a ton to it -- you can create the UI with normal HTML elements, style them with CSS, and fancy them up with jQuery or other libraries. But, you need to write your game such that your game loop includes console-handling, and can then pass the commands down into your game control structures. You also need to be able to read out various stats/data from your game. Its hard to tell you how to do that last part -- its where most of your effort will go, and it completely depends on how your game works.

One good bit of news is that basically all debug consoles work in the same way, regardless of language or UI technology. any information you find on debug consoles can apply to your particular situation in a fairly straight-forward way.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS